Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

I bought a Prevost used in NC and found I couldn't legally drive it back to Maryland without a "Class-A Non-Commercial" per a change a few years ago. Had to take a mini-subset of the CDL written test, wait 30 days, then bring the bus in for a road-test with a graded pre-flight inspection. Road tests had a 90-day+ waiting list.

This list may help folks determine if they do need a CDL

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

I cannot speak to its accuracy. As states continue to experience revenue crunches there is widespread opinion that they will do more to enforce their existing laws, and the best revenue sources are out of staters because they do not vote in the state's elections. This appeared to be true with stepped up efforts to collect sales taxes from owners who used the Montana laws to their benefit to avoid sales taxes. It may follow that highway enforcement is equally rewarding for states.

Default Heads Up for CDL holders!

FYI, new federal regulations regarding medical requirements take effect on January 30, 2012 for CDL holders, regarding interstate or intrastate certification. Complete information online at: www.fmcsa.dot.gov or 800-832-5660.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 12-20-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: link correction

California Class B Non Commercial Drivers License is required to operate a 40 ft. not exceeding a 45 ft. " House Car ". A Physician's Health Report form 546A filled out by a physician after a physical exam must be on file at DMV and re-newed every two years. It's a good idea to take the form with you every time you get your annual checkup. I just renewed my Class B license and it required an updated 546A form, a written drivers license test, a written 40 ft.+ House Car test, a right thumb print, an eye test, $ 39.00 fee, and a picture. I was able to accomplis this at the DMV office in a record time of three days only because I had made apointments ahead. It took the gentleman over 1 1/2 hours on the phone with three seperate ladies helping him to figure out how to make the computer accomplish the task. This gave me a further understanding of why CA is going broke.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry,

You just posted reason number 629 that I became an Arizona resident. I tried that in California, presented them with a Valid Department of Transportation, FAA Medical which California deemed NO GOOD, probably the best for me because I would have probably flunked the written, especially after the pre-lims! AZ, if you hold a current license from another state they give you a quick eye test, snap your photo and hand you a five year license (not a temp certificate) in about ten minutes time (no appointment needed) and the total cost is 15.00!