Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-12 Wrench Purchase

dreamchasers Guest

Default X-12 Wrench Purchase

I am looking at ordering the X-12 wrench that I have read so much about. As I see things, most maintenance will happen "under the rig". Taking off a tire or tires would greatly increase access. The price at TIA Website, http://www.times12.com/wrench.htm, is $619.00.

First, where is the cheapest place to buy one?

Secondly, the wrench comes with a 1 X 1 1/2" socket and 13/16" adapter for the square nut. Is this the correct size for the Prevost lug nuts?

Any comments are appreciated.

Hector

dalej Guest

Hector, I really think that someone that is going to do repairs on a regular basis, needs a 1 inch air impact. It will greatly improve the way you look at repairs. That multiplier is great for breaking the nuts on the road or if you have a 1/2 inch impact , getting the nuts broke loose and then use the 1/2 inch for the rest. I only bought a 1 inch impact a year ago and it is one of those things that after you buy it you wonder why you waited.

I bought mine at the Chinese Capitol of the World...Harbor Frieght, it works great.

Hector, If you have a fixed base, a good air supply (1/2 inch hose and at least 60 gallon tank) it will be cheaper to buy an impact wrench and a whole lot easier to use. Dale is on the money with his suggestions.

However, if you do not have a fixed base and you contemplate changing your own tires on the road also, then the X-12 is the real deal with the size wrenches listed.

If you can wait until Sevierville, I have one for you to look at and play with before you make a decision. Do not rule out a large wrench with a 4' extension for practicality. Our torque values are around 500 so that is another option. There are other things I would buy now before I would buy the X-12.

Hector,

Some more pixs and purchase info over at the Cool Bus Tools™ at Prevoman.com

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/ToolsPg1.html

Dale,

For those of us that Santa forgot can you post the model # and price of the impact that you did purchase.

mm

dalej Guest

Mike, this is the one Roger has...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94108 This is the cheapest I have seen it.
    If you print this out and take it to a Harbor Freight store, they honor it.
    This is the one I have http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94109

Roger says his works just fine, I wanted the twin hammer since it was only $20 more, no reason.

They have one that is only $89.99 check out this page. http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...=1+inch+impact

Remember to print out the page before you go to the store.
    Last edited by dalej; 01-08-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Default Lug Nut Size

Hector, the 1 1/2" socket would be the one you would use. I don't think 1 1/2" is the exact size but it works fine and my SAE sockets don't have anything else that fits. It may be a 38MM since the 1 1/2" is a little large but since I'm cheap I don't plan on buying 1" metric impacts.
    As cool as the X-12 is, a 4 ft. piece of 2" pipe will do the job just as well and I'm not so sure that you might not mar up a wheel with the X-12. Like Mike says, break um loose and use a good 1/2" impact to do the work.
    If you buy a 1" impact from a Harbor Freight store, you will have to get 1/2" air hose somewhere else. They have 1/2" online but not in their retail stores.
    Mike, I got this one on sale for about a hundred bucks. Works fine but the darn thing will work your tush off it's so heavy. Wish I had bought one twenty years ago.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94109

dalej Guest

Ted, I think it is 1 and 1/2 inch. I have always used that socket and bought lug nut covers that size.

I waited until I seen these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2522 at 49 until I bought them, like they are now.

Hector, For tool purchasing decisions I generally try to determine if I will use the tool often enough to justify the dollars spent and the room it takes up. I also try to determine if I do not get the tool how will that affect me.

I have used my 1" impact wrench, and my X12 often enough now to have formed some opinions on both. I originally used only the X12. I used it in lieu of the impact wrench. It is hard work to use it, but one advantage is it works well with a 1/2" torque wrench to set the wheel nut torques accurately.

The 1" impact wrench is much easier to use. It is heavier, requires 1/2" air hose, but it is fast and efficient. I have learned from experience and using the X12 and a torque wrench how much and how to use the impact wrench to get the correct torque. Now the X12 sits in a box rarely used.

Before I invested in the X12 I would want good sets of Gearwrench wrenches and screwdrivers. I would want a clamp on Fluke 336A meter. A Fluke 117 meter. I would want a good set of hydraulic jacks, air over hydraulic. I would want good hand tools for the bus tool box. You see where I am heading. The things I named would be used far more frequently. And I believe I could almost buy them all with the price reduction between the X12 and the $99 Harbor Freight impact wrench.

Right now the X12 is only peace of mind. I bring it with me so I can change my own tires on the road and do not have to rely on anybody. There is some value there of course, but I have also never had an on road flat.

Default Harbour Frieght Impact Wrench

The Chinese had to copy this impact wrench from an American. There just ain't no Chinaman man enough to handle it. We are talking a "man" tool here.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Jon Said:
    "I would want a clamp on Fluke 336A meter. A Fluke 117 meter."

Jon, I have gotten by for years with a $30 voltmeter from Grainger. I am interested in upgrading both my equipment and my knowledge using the meters you recommend. How about doing a seminar at Sevierville on the basic use of this equipment?