Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Isolating Air Leaks

Jim....pull the trigger. You are missing out on some fun, the market sure is a buyer's market, and you ain't getting any younger.

What do we have to do to convert you from a wannabe to a newbee?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    , the market sure is a buyer's market,
    How have things changed between what Jon said in January of 2008 and now with respect to it being a buyer's market? I've only been watching for a year or so.

It sure looks to me that prices are even lower for used coachs. But, there are signs that they are leveling off and maybe even starting to rise as the inventory of certain types of coachs is reduced. Even though the two main remaining converters are busy building again, It's a far cry from pre-recession numbers.
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

Based on the two that I bought and sold from late 2007 to early 2012, I think overall the market is softer now than it was in 2008, with the economy being the greatest contributing factor. Every time I start thinking prices are improving, they seem to continue to decline, but maybe, just maybe, we have hit bottom.
    Last edited by dale farley; 03-24-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale, does that mean I'm entitled to a market rebate on my coach...

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Yes Gil. Remind me the next time I see you, and I will give you half the profit I made on it.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I have to remember NEVER to poke at Dale.

Jon I have been slowly fighting the same problem I have to shut off my aux pump when sitting, I have found several small leaks found some major ones on the lines going to the gen airbags and replaced all the push on fittings with brass ferruled fittings, the coach stays level in manual but still cant turn on aux pump / I will keep looking you gave me a few more ideas,

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

Other common weak points ARE the drivers seat AND all the lumbar controles on the seat. The belt tensioners on the engine and that would include that regulator attatched to the control knob.

The Step slide this can leak a few different ways. One way is it can leak out the end of the cylinder where the ram comes out. You many or may not hear that at the step. Another way they OFTEN leak is like this.

That component the step slide is never "resting" it either has pressure pushing or pressure holding it closed. When that inner packing on the ram leaks internally the air will leak out at the exhaust port on the control (usually MAC control powder blue color) in the air distribution panel in the steering bay.

Brings a side note when these small square powder blue MAC controles that many of us have leak ot their exhaust port it is confounding. You will hear it clearly leaking much soapy water will not help because they shield that exhaust port with multiple baffles as so not to allow dirt and dust to migrate in at that poit damaging the control and that is why you can here it leaking but never find it with soapy water. You have to burry the entire component in soap suds to see bubbles risking shorting any of the many electrical components in there with it.

SEE this alot.. Recently I pulled the front stairs apart on Lewpops old bus to replace that cylinder that had an audible leak at the stairs as well. It was a Bimba cylinder I think that was the manufacturer and the cylinder they sent us was leaking out the seal for the ram bran new. Not bad but leaking none the less. NO GOOD Mr Bimba

On his Marathon the converter supplied a shutoff for that component right on the control in the stearing bay. Brought me to the conclusion that they were aware of the possibility of a problem and thought it important enough to allow it to be closed when not underway.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Larry on your Vantare there are multiple Mac controles behind a removable panel in the back wall of the closet in the bathroom. They signal all the pocket doors and the bed lift and I dono what else. Ever open up that panel and look in there for leaks. Watch it with the soapy water if you do and hear air lots of wires too. Remember what about leaks you can hear but not find on these controls and for sure watch all wiring end terminals as you look for leaks with soap and water.

Your bed lift cylinders IMO are also very suspect. Hope this helps and good luck.

With our bus I never got it completly air right on the aux air side but I did get the compressor down to cycling 2 or 3 times a day and that was managable IMO.

Nother thing I did once I got it to that point onours was changed the control switch for the aux compressor and added another manuall control for the compressor bypassing the regulator and right before bed Id turn it on manually and run the aux pressure up to 100 psi and at that pressure it would not drop to 60 psi and come on bothering some while sleeping.

Nother thing (sorry cant help it) where is the pressure set on the limit if it is at 100 thats unnessessary makes the pump run longer and more frequently.I see more buses that are at that unnessessary 100 psi setting on the aux compressor than not. Identify all the pnewmatic acessories and what kind of pressures they require and set the regulator for JUST 10lb greater than what you find. Usually 50 to 60 or 60 to 70psi is adiquate to opporate everything. Everything will be happier including you. Just the lower setting is sometimes enough to stop what were previously minor or small leaks and when it does come on it will only run half as long before stopping too.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.