Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isolating Air Leaks

Default Isolating Air Leaks

The past few months has been the time for me to pick away at life's little annoyances relative to the coach. I have extended my engine fuel primer, added a back-up water pump, added inverter by pass switches, upgraded the dash radio and added a CD changer with a large magazine, replaced my Norgren valves and rebuilt the solenoid valves, and most recently took the first step to find an auxiliary air leak that has all of a sudden shown up.

The bus auxiliary air system is essentially house components and bus components. On my coach the house or converter installed air operated items are the sliding floor, dump valves, bed lift, pocket doors, generator air bags, air horns, seat, etc. The bus auxiliary air components include the suspension, belt tensioners, etc.

As anyone can see isolating an air leak is a major task, and it is something that can require hours of effort. My first step in chasing leaks therefore is to be able to narrow the search. To do that I decided to cut my current and future effort in that regard in half. I added valves to the house or converter installed air lines so with all house air turned off I know if my leak is in the house side of things or the bus side. I could have added one valve for the entire house, but as long as all house air circuits were in one spot I added a valve for each circuit with the exception of the air horns. The air horn circuit has the solenoid valve right there easy to see and access so I did not feel I needed it.

The picture is of a Liberty, but in case other converters have used a manifold arrangement similar to this one, the concept would work for other coaches.

Since installing my shut off valves I know my aux system air leak is on the bus side of things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Ready made buyer

Jon-

Please let me know if/when you get ready to sell this bus with all these neat modifications. I want it. Just wait a bit until I ditch the other 2 spare Prevosts I still have and am down to one.

dalej Guest

Jon, it will be nice to get to TN this spring to check your improvments out. It's kinda looking like you steer bay is about full.

I'm waiting on the Parker valve rep. to come on the 10th of January. I'm hoping to get my level low system back together shortly after that.

Thumbs up Separate But Together

Jon, that's a beautiful thing.

Change that tee and nipple to brass though for the show!

The ugly Tee and nipple are going to stay. I don't know why, but it was a royal PITA to get my installed components and fittings leak free so I decided to leave the gauge fittings which I had installed previously alone.

I replaced all my Norgrens and the guts for the 5 solenoid valves and there had to be at least 100 fittings and I had no trouble with those, but for some reason this bit of plumbing was troblesome.

Wink

That's OK Jon, it's your bus and you can do what you want. You could paint it though. The galvanized is so gauche against all that brass. You could get the same blue as the valve handles and paint the gage too.

Jim......go buy a bus. NOW!

BTW, how many buses have you shopped? Inquiring minds want to know....me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Jim......go buy a bus. NOW!

BTW, how many buses have you shopped? Inquiring minds want to know....me.
    Three.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Let's Make it FOUR

Here's a nice Prevost Country Coach conversion: http://www.parliamentcoach.com/PREOW...PHOTOSPECS.htm which I looked at just the other day at Parliament.

C'mon Jim, take the plunge, a guy only lives once.