Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If it's January, it must be time for Quartzite

Default If it's January, it must be time for Quartzite

Hey POGgers,

The Quartzite, AZ rock, mineral, fossil, RV Show, and all purpose swap meet begins shortly. If you have never been to it, it is worth a visit. You'll be amazed at how you survived without "stuff" that you didn't know you needed, until you walk around the place. The RV show begins Jan. 19 and runs for 10 days. The swap meet is ongoing and runs the month of January.

Come use your bus in a new way. Join us and thousands of other rv'ers boondocking on the BLM land. It really is a good time. Cocktails and campfires every night. If anyone is interested, give me a shout and I'll send you the lat/long of where we'll be.

Ken

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

We have been looking at Quartzite with interest and curiosity. Although right now is out in the future we will go and stay.

I like the idea of boon docking. What is the fee for a spot on that gov. land, something like 40 bucks a month. These buses we have are the perfect candidates to do this. Well, maybe not a newer one but our 86 is. Who needs campgrounds anyway.

Ken do you have any solar? I think that would be good for a venue like that.

Joe,

I don't have any solar on Bluevost. I did have 6 7-amp panels on the Eagle, along with 245 gallons of fresh, and two 40 lb. LP tanks. We could stay out a long time!! If diesel fuel gets much higher, solar panels could come into play again.

Ken

Ken,

We have always wanted to make Quartzite and plan on doing it next year. Seems like a long way off, but time flies in the ageing process. We would appreciate some pictures and updates while your there, for us not able to make the trip. How about starting a thread on Quartzite when you get there for us right coasters.

Thanks...

If you've never visited Quartzsite, it's pretty darn incredible. I had never heard of it a couple of years ago, when I drove out to visit some of the Datastorm users prior to my satellite purchase. I drove out there, not knowing anything about it.

As with AZ you're driving through the desert, and all of a sudden, it's RV's as far as the eye can see. I'm thinking there's got to be a couple thousand RV's all out here in the desert.

I look it up that night on the internet to find out that there aren't a couple of thousand RV's, it's more like 40,000 to 50,000!! Over one million people will attend the RV show!

http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/suns...s%20on%20Earth

for more information!

Ray

I made the trip to Quartzite several years ago after having heard about it over the last 25 years from my Aunt and Uncle from Idaho. They had spent several decades visiting the area in the winter months. Its a curious place, not much to the area, but always something to do. If your a rock hound, plenty of places to explore. A lot of 4 wheeling as well.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Everyone ought to do Quartzite once. Be part of the 1 million vistors every winter.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

We could have a camping enduro. See who can hold out the longest with supplies carried out on board

Default Qsite

Ken, how do you do as far as keeping your bus clean whilst driving / camping in the dirt ?

Some friends of ours go out there every year, and the wife is always bitching that it takes a month to get the dust back out of the interior?

Almost looks like it would be a good one to rent a cheapo from El Monte or someone and go out and trash it!

Everyone seems to enjoy it though!

Truk--Here are some pix from last year. Pretty windy and cold last January. On Sunday they actually shut the RV show down for the afternoon because they thought the wind might collapse the big tent. That tent is about 100 yds. long.

Jello--Dirt can be a problem when it's windy. It's more of a problem to some and less to others. Frankly I don't care if my bus gets dirty, or even filthy. We bought the thing to use in our lifestyle and we'll clean it as best we can when we get home. (If that sounds like a lecture, I don't mean it to). But as you can see in the pix, the ground is what they call "desert asphalt". There isn't much sand in these areas and absolutely no chance of getting stuck.

Happy Trails,

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images