Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good, the Bad the Webasto ....

Picture 7.jpg

Picture 8.jpg

webasto diagram

Are we sure that plastic fuel filter with no filter is not the culpurt leak? If you have a good filter just prior to the supply line going into the Webasto I would do away with that internal filter. If not mount it outside so you can get at it in the future to change it. Those plastic ends can get distorted and leak no matter how tight they are.

No, it's dry around the fuel filter assembly. I can see it dripping from the inlet tube, right at the hose clamp on the pump.

Ray

pognumber15 Guest

Ray -

I am going out on a limb to make a suggestion and feel free to tell me how stupid you think this is - but so far it looks to me like the banjo bolt on the inlet side is loose - and the fuel is becoming obvious once it gets down to the clamp. Try the inlet tube and see if it moves - it should not - if it does just tighten it - gently - the mashed grommet is the clue here. The seals in the banjo fittings sometimes fail but mostly someone messed with the unit and loosened the bolt through the center of the banjo fitting. Too Cheap and Easy? Yeah but if it works I can take the derisive remarks sure to follow.

Chuck Wall
    '94 Liberty 40 Classic Lady
    '98 Jeep Wrangler toad

Ray,

Chuck is right. As I recall there's a copper washer on that banjo fitting that's very easy to damage. I had a similar issue with those copper washers on the generator.

Worth a try.

Mike

Chuck and Mango,

You guys might be right on the mark. That tube was lose, Ray did crank on it a little, but the washer may be the bad guy here. If it's not raining too hard here tomorrow morn. I'm going out and bring the head home so we can work on it on the bench. Don't tell Ray, he doesn't know I have a key to his hanger.

Will advise.

Ken

Quit making nasty remarks about Hummers and maybe I won't tell. Between you and Jello boy I'm getting a complex.

Who has my hangar key??!!

Ken, FYI I picked up a new pump rebuild kit, nozzle, new banjo pipes etc today. If you happen to go out and grab the head, that would be fine, I've got the stuff here at the house to rebuild it.

Chuck, I did look at the banjo tubes, and they didn't appear to be wet, but I'm not ruling that out. As Ken mentioned, I did tighten them but it made no difference in the leak. I spoke with Hector, and his leak was actually in the pump. The company I purchased the kit from indicated that leaking pumps was a common thing.

But, blacklab indicated that his high pressure tube (comes from the pump to the manifold) was leaking in his case.

AT least with the stuff I've purchased, I've got ALL of that new.

It also seems that they have changed from a 115lb pump with .6 gph nozzle to a 145lb pump with a .35 gph nozzle. That was part of the upgrade. That's the only variation that Webasto/AquaHot sell now.

Ray

ChuckWall Guest

Ray & Ken -

If you have the old pump - the upgrade is very worthwhile because it will run cleaner with no smoke, better combustion, and less fuel - this is a good thing and well worth doing since you are already into the unit this far. It normally does take the kit you have purchased to run at the higher pressures - I'll be giving away my age but when I worked on my first Webasto we were setting pressures at 90psi. Every pressure increase used a smaller orifice and ran better. The setup you bought is the best!

Chuck Wall

Thanks for the info Chuck! I should know by Saturday, as I hope to get out there at that time to get this installed. Perhaps if Ken sneaks out to the hangar, he'll bring it home (we live very close), and I can do the rebuild here on the bench, and then just bolt it in (AND get hot water/heat!)

Ray