Thread: Rub Rail

Default Rub Rail

One of the small sections of stainless rub rail between two of my bay doors is loose. It seems to have some form of black mastic that holds it on but not doing too good of a job. Does anyone know what this is that holds the stainless on to the side of the bus?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

I think someone performed an unauthorized fix. Those small pieces of rub rail in between the doors are more time consuming to replace than the larger ones but it can be done easily by a do it yourselfer. Have a look at how the other ones are attached and I think you will see the correct way to install them. I'm sure the piece should be riveted on.

I don't know if International Bus Parts has an illustration or maybe Mango has a how to on his site.

Richard Beecher

Richard,

It seems that the frame of this small panel (about 10"-12") was rivited from the back, but the skin was bonded to the frame with the black substance. I see some of the really small (2"-3") panels have rivets in the sides of the panels, but this one doesn't seem to. It appears that the full size panels may also be attached to their frame with a mastic of some kind, then the frame is riveted to the side of the coach.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

This is how Liberty installs their rub rails.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Panel%.../Panelpg1.html

Picture 8.jpg

Mike

I had the same issue,I was able to purchase the adhesive from International Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Richard,

It seems that the frame of this small panel (about 10"-12") was rivited from the back, but the skin was bonded to the frame with the black substance. I see some of the really small (2"-3") panels have rivets in the sides of the panels, but this one doesn't seem to. It appears that the full size panels may also be attached to their frame with a mastic of some kind, then the frame is riveted to the side of the coach.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

A real good adhesive is 3M Moulding Tape, which can be found at NAPA automotive stores.

This tape comes in a 1/2" x 60" roll.

Dale - Whenever I have a question about my Bus, James Craig at Country Coach always takes care of me. He one of the few guys who knows the Prevosts or knows who does. He is sometimes hard to reach by phone but always gets back to me quickly by e-mail. Since this is my second Country Coach, I have a number of other contacts but he is always the first one I start with on any technical issues. Just make sure when you e-mail him you give him your coach number so he can pull the build file. His e-mail address is jscraig@countrycoach.com. It's great to see the fun is already starting.

Miles & Laura Circo
    2004 Country Coach Prevost XL II 45' D/S

Dale,

I'm thinking the proper way to install that panel is with rivets, or bolts, or both. A panel that size may only have the rivets. Our riveted coach is a 40 footer so it is possible the 45 is done differently but I still don't think the rail would be attached with adhesive only. Almost all panels will (should) have some sort of sealer such as IBP provides or the 3M stuff Paul mentioned.

Are you near I-10? We will be coming through on our way to California in our Vogue Friday next week and would be happy to stop by and see the new bus and take a look at the panel. I have the same rivets and tool Mango used and they work very well. I can bring them along. If you have time to send a picture showing the panel you are referring to that may help.

Send me a PM if you'd like.

Richard Beecher
    2002 Marathon XLII 45
    1996 Vogue XL 40 for sale

Since I didn't see any feasible way to rivet the panel due to the design, I installed some flat head screws and set the the screws in JB Weld so they cannot come out. I don't think I will have a problem with it falling off. Here again, this was a small panel of about 10"-12".
    Last edited by dale farley; 02-24-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    Dale & Paulette