Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 06 Jeep Liberty:Key Position as TOAD?

On our Jeep Liberty, the ignition key had to be left in the vehicle, as Jon stated, in order to keep the steering "un-locked".

Since the ignition key for the Jeep Liberty is "chipped", I purchased a blank key cut to fit my ignition, and that's the key I left in the vehicle while towing it. The blank would unlock the column, but the Jeep couldn't be driven. The engine would shut down without the properly coded ignition key.

Now, convincing the locksmith to make me a key that we both knew would be useless to to actually drive the Jeep is another story...

Thanks guys! I guess I can always just pull the key out once stopped for the night and then put it back in before departing in the morning if worried about security.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    On our Jeep Liberty, the ignition key had to be left in the vehicle, as Jon stated, in order to keep the steering "un-locked".

Since the ignition key for the Jeep Liberty is "chipped", I purchased a blank key cut to fit my ignition, and that's the key I left in the vehicle while towing it. The blank would unlock the column, but the Jeep couldn't be driven. The engine would shut down without the properly coded ignition key.

Now, convincing the locksmith to make me a key that we both knew would be useless to to actually drive the Jeep is another story...
    I Have always done as Tom indicated and never had problems with someone taking the keys to one of the few Diesel Jeep Libertys made.

Paul, great idea to have a non "chipped" blank key made, no one can start the jeep and the column lock will be off.

We have an extra key in the bus and just lock the doors with the remote and leave the key in the ignition.