Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 Liberty H3 40

Judi Brown Guest

Exclamation 91 Liberty H3 40

When we hit a bump in road, front seems to bottom out. Is this normal
    or is there something we can do to overcome this.
    Judi

Hi Judi. I would check your ride height first. I'm assuming your ride height air pressure is not dropping while your on the road. Also, your shock absorbers may need replacing.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Judi,

I think Gary has this one pegged. That is the first two places to look and you can check the ride height with a tape measure or it may show up on the Level Low level on the console, although I wouldn't trust that much.

The shocks are a likely culprit and if the coach bounces much when you hit a slight dip, then that may be an easy fix.

Our coach bottoms out too, but only when my wife drives cuz she sets the cruise control at 85.

Default Rule #1

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Judi,

Our coach bottoms out too, but only when my wife drives cuz she sets the cruise control at 85.
    Rule#1. 'Never use the words Wife and Weight in the same sentence or an inference.' Yea, good save Jerry.

Great advice, and it is correct.

If the ride height and shocks are OK, get the coach weighed to verify you are not exceeding the axle weight limits.

dalej Guest

Judi,

A quick look at the distance between the front tires and the rubber skirts will tell you a lot. most bus's that are in there ride height will have the top of the tire at the same height as the bottom of the skirt. Get your eyes level with the top of the tire and see where the bottom of the skirt is.

Let us know.

Judi Brown Guest

Exclamation Ride Height

The bus seems level when aired up and holds air for weeks. Where do I measure and what is the measurement. Thanks and Happy New Year.
    Judi

dalej Guest

Judi,

You should have blocks under the frame supports when you get under to do measuring and repairs. If you turn the wheels all the way to the left or right you can check the measurements of the bags and see if the shocks are broke or leaking oil without getting under the bus.

On mine, I have had broken shocks before and that will cause the bus to give a ride that seems springy. I have four shocks so if I get a broken one I can tell.

If your bus seems level in road height, your ride height is more then likely ok. To check the bag height measure the distance between where the bag is, there is a top and bottom plate that hold the bags. Then measure between the plates, should be in the 10.75 range if I am remembering right.

If you only have two shocks on the front you could add two more and that will help your ride, if your ride height is correct.
    Last edited by dalej; 12-28-2007 at 10:35 AM.

While Dale is technically correct, and his method is spelled out in the Prevost manuals find a smooth level concrete surface and just measure from the ground up to the bottom of the bay doors all the way around.

Dales method eliminates the variable caused by uneven ground surfaces, but as long as the space between the bottom of the bay doors and the ground is reasonably consistent it is probable your height is correct, especially if the bottom of the fender skirts is even with or just above the top of the tires.

No sense getting under the coach unless you really want to, in which case, make sure it is blocked. Dale is correct about looking for indications the shocks have failed, but remeber, you should have at least two in the front, and at least six in the rear, with the front two drive axle shocks difficult to see because they are in front of the drive axle front fender liner (I think).

Default Re-view

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Brown View Post
    When we hit a bump in road, front seems to bottom out. Is this normal
    or is there something we can do to overcome this.
    Judi
    After thinkin a bit, I'm wondering what you mean by 'bottom out'? Are you scraping the front going down the road, are you bouncing, what actually happens.