Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young 'uns LEAN Too!

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Young 'uns LEAN Too!

Pic below is a relatively new H3-45 caught on a ride in LewLand with a definite case of the leans. For those who may have a coach which is older, don't feel as if you are being left out of the party.

Hmmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff, that kinda looks like a character from one of Ray's movies.
    What's up with all that drivin around, didn't anyone invite you in.
    Sounds kinda sad to be all alone on a festive family type holiday. Hope you find a party.

Now that I am deep in the middle of changing all my Norgrens I am developing a very complete understanding of how MY (caps for emphasis) coach suspension system works. I am assuming most coaches are the same within certain generations. I know for sure my 87 was not like my 97 so there are differences.

Assuming his H3 is like my Liberty XL there are only three places to look to solve a lean as shown. Verify the air bags on the left rear are not leaking (3 places), check the 5 port valve on the forward bulk head in front of the drive axle, or check the 3 port valve on the side frame above and between the tag and drive axle. What used to be a mystery to me is now less so, and I will be happy to expand upon the seminar on the leans Bill Jensen and I did in Branson in both Sevierville and Pahrump.

One thing is certain as JPJ alludes to, sooner or later every coach will have the leans.

VegasDogMan Guest

Jon:

We're wintering in Florida and ever since we left Vegas our coach too has the leans. If I pull into a fuels stop and driveway tilts to the left, I loose air in the rear suspension. Mud flap dragging on ground. As long as engine is running it's ok.

When I pull into campground, level the coach I'm level for about 2 days then the left rear drops again.

Where do I start looking? No pit - where do I go for some knowlegeable repairs? Is your pit nearby Ocala Fl?

Lee

Maybe Dale has his pit ready for the FL area members.

Lee, My 97 valve system differs from my 87 so I am in no position to pinpoint the potential sources other than to make some general comments because I know Liberty or Prevost has changed at some point.

Assuming your RH side is OK, and the front is not dropping the problem is at least isolated to the tag and 2 drive axle air bags or the valves dedicated to that LH side.

If you know your air bags are OK (good luck proving that short of inflating them and praying if they have a leak it is where you can see soap bubbles) the remaining probable source is the five port Norgren valve on that side. I am in the middle of replacing the four Norgrens that are in my steer compartment, and I know the two on the rear bulkhead are dedicated to the front, but the two solenoid operated valves that appear to be a Liberty install also have something to do with holding air pressure in the front and rear, or maybe just dumping air pressure. I am still checking.

If you intend to try to play with this yourself, you do need to be under the coach, and if you get under it, make certain it is supported. Right now my bet is on the five port valve in the left rear, or one of the three air bags.

VegasDogMan Guest

Jon:
    are there three bags on each side in the rear?

2 on Axle and one on Tag?

Lee

Lee,

Yes, on all coaches regardless of converter the drive has two air bags per side and the tag a single air bag per side.

Under normal conditions, such as when parked or when driving the three are tied together and air flows to and from them simultaneously. When the tag is lifted, or in the case of a 45 when air in the tag is dumped a three port Norgren located high between the tag and drive axles closes to isolate the tag air bags from the drive air bags.

Other than that the three air bags per side in the rear operate as a unit.

Lee,

I found this photo that may be of interest....

It shows the three air bags on the rear passenger side on my bus. One is in front of the front fender liner which has been removed in this photo. The other two are easily visible with the tag wheel removed. What most are unaware of is that in the rear of our coaches we have three shocks per side, with one being in front of the front fender liner next to the air bag.

Jon, I'm still working on the pit. The weather has not been very cooperative for the last few days, and now it is scheduled to turn cold for a couple weeks. The picture shows where I am at this point. I just need to install a couple more expansion joints and lay in the wire, and I will be ready to pour. Maybe I will finish by Spring. Well, I see for some reason, the picture won't post. How come you can post a picture, and I can't?
    Last edited by dale farley; 12-29-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Hopefully the picture is attached to this one.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!