Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bus starting problem SOLVED

Great Idea!

I wouldn't have had the Gonads to buy a bus, except for the help I found on Stuff.com (pre POG) and specifically mentoring by Jon. It gave me the confidence to make the big purchase knowing that if I did have a problem there was someone to turn to besides Prevost and Liberty.

Jon mentioned in one post about solving an overheating problem of somebody on the road. Well that was me in The Mothership heading to Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Stopped at 3 truck stops and the only person to solve my problem, by phone, was Jon. Otherwise it would've been cold turkey on the side of I-95.

Mike

Default Starting Prob

I read every post by everyone on this board and have learned not to be afraid of the maintenance of these machines. We all know that they are a work in progress at all times. Just like a Boat, they will never leave the dock without something that needs fixing , however that is part of the joy of ownership believe it or not! At my age the bus is on my mind a lot more than other things that you young folks think about , so it keeps me safe and secure!
    There is so much knowledge available on this board form Jon, Truk, Joe and others which has been shared with me when I needed help.
    So again thanks to everyone, and if I do not see you before Easter hide your eggs!! Dan & Jo
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

bill&jody Guest

hmmmmmm.......
    i had exactly the same issue in charlotte, nc during april of 06. finally figured out the problem by shorting the leads on the back of the switch with a screwdriver. bought a switch at advanced auto or napa, problem solved.

i had just installed a brake controller for the trailer and thought i'd f*d something up in the electrics. somehow, the switch just, well, died.

pretty amazing dan, mango and i all had the same switch die. doesn't truk have a plane?

wmm

When I got home with the XLII it was time to play with a few things when I would take a break from cleaning. The rear start switch and engine bay lights would not work, one more thing for the bunch list later!
    Of course I took the day off from cleaning the bus,or I don't think I would need the bunk coach in the future, maybe a park model because my wife would get the house in the divorce.
    So, I was sneaking around the bus and thought I would look into this rear start issue. I was finding no power to what I think is needed for the thing to start, there is also this "safety" switch with a Prevost label mounted to the panel with all the large breakers. It is labeled On and Off, I tried both directions and still nothing.
    I then went to the ignition key that has been working perfect, now nothing, well I didn't make fire works with anything so life should be the same as before but I find that sometimes I will take 1 step forward and 2 backwards.
    Back to that safety switch, it was in the off position so I turned it on, went to the key and all is good again, but still no rear start and engine lights.
    I decided to try with the ignition key on, went to the back and I now have lights and a rear start. What good is a rear start switch and also why should I have to turn the key on for engine bay lights? I can see that you would never leave the lights on and drain theattery but I think it kinda defeats the reason you would need lights in the engine bay. My 99 did not have this safety switch and I am sure you could do a rear start without the key on, and the lights would work without the key also.
    Any ideas,

Kevin...who knows the logic or thinking of the engineers? Have you looked on the Prevost Car site at the wiring diagrams for your coach to see how Prevost had it set up? That might give some clues.

The original reason as I understood it for rear start was twofold. It prevented anybody from acidently trying to spin the engine from the driver's seat while someone was working on or around the engine. The other reason as I understand it was to save a tech the time required to keep walking back and forth to start and stop the engine.

Jon,
    I will try to find that during the week, I am thinking now that the safety switch is to be used by a tech when he is working around the engine area while a driver might be in the bus. With the switch off nothing will start the engine, driver key or rear start switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Erion View Post
    Jon,
    I will try to find that during the week, I am thinking now that the safety switch is to be used by a tech when he is working around the engine area while a driver might be in the bus. With the switch off nothing will start the engine, driver key or rear start switch.
    Sounds like OSHA might have had a say there?