Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning/Inside the Pipes

Joe,

A tech familiar with the compressor can pull the heads, replace the valves and any other internal parts, and replace the seal in about 3 hours or less.

If you hold 300 psi of nitrogen overnight that system will not leak.

For R12 you are likely to have low side pressures of 38 and high side around 160 so if it holds nitrogen at 300 you are good to go.

Congrats on the Cruise Airs.

Jon

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Got a call from the shop forman at the garage were are using for our OTR A/C. He suggested that since we had the compresser apart to install the seal kit we should also replace the coil behind the clutch and also put two new bearings in. I told him to go ahead and the parts are comming. The bus will be spending its first weekend away from home since we got her. What the heck am I gonna do all weekend? Ill keep you all posted.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-13-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default Is It Just Me Or What?

Jon asked me to let everyone know what I am learning with my current repair. This is the first time I have needed any outside help with any repairs up to now. What Ive learned is that if there is even the slightest possibility that I think I can do the repair myself, Im fixing it myself. If I dont know, Ill learn how and then, FIX IT MYSELF! Shop has now had it for 11 days and counting.To make matters worse all the boose is in the bus. Ill keep ya posted.

The pit and all my tools were the best investment I ever made.

My repairs and maintenance tasks take longer than the professionals, but I don't have the frustration of knowing someone is screwing me over and has their hands deep into my pockets.

Joe, FWIW, you can get a rebuilt compressor like ours for between $1200 and $2300 depending on who you get it from. Don't let the shop working on yours convince you their work is worth more.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default almost

It ran it, blew cold air, but the compressor is overheating. As it turns out the connecting rod bearing is siezing up, compressor junk. If any consolation, they are crediting any related costs surronding it, parts and labor both. Also have replaced both expansion valves, the one for the main evaporator required removing the generator to access it. Had to be done, it was pluged with rust or something and wouldnt flow any freon. A new dryer was installed. One hose off the compressor was bad and 2 leeky fittings. What would I have done differently having the chance again? Taking into concideration this was a system that has been inop for who knows how long, I should of went ahead and had a rebuilt compressor right from the getgo. As it turns out we havent wasted any money but lots of time. Two weeks and counting. Im waiting on a call with a price. I know Jon posted what he thought it might be. My salesman thinks he might be able to get one also. Anybody else got one? A rebuilt compressor that is.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-22-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Joe, I feel your pain in the A/C department. I had issues, and had my bus back to Prevost 3 times. In my cases my original compressor AND a brand new compressor both seized up in use, breaking alternator belts and causing no end of trouble.

In the long run it seems that the issue in my case was that R12 was put into this system where a previous owner had put in R114b (whatever that is), and the two did not mix at all, causing the freon to gum up, and cause the compressor to get hot and seize.

I've now got it back, still with R12 in the system, but I believe that they completely cleaned out the lines so that I *shouldn't* have problems again. I won't really say it's fixed until I've got 25-30 hours on that compressor. At the moment, it's blowing cold, but I've only got 6-7 hours on it. My last compressor (brand new) failed in about 6 hours on the road.

I would have replaced all the lines and possibly gone with 134 instead, but they indicated that would be about an $8000 repair bill. As it was, it came to over 1/2 that!

I feel your pain. My bus was in the shop for a total of 3-4 weeks time, causing me to miss a summer vacation trip. On the positive side, it's enabled me to take time off and go to POG2, and I'm really glad that is going to happen!!

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have convinced myself we are making progress. All we gotta do now is find another and swap it out. I hope Ours too is an R12 and Ray if you would like 30lb of R12, for reserve, I know I can get more, 577$. Im assuming it is going to continue to get harder to get and more expensive too. Once we slay this A/C dragon Ill get another for sure. This is not recycled stuff. Its new product, with a factory seal intact, from a fella Ive known for 15yr.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Joe, that sounds like a deal. Are you going to be around at POG2? Perhaps we could connect there, and I could get a cannister.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ray, let me get this A/C repair behind, then Ill grab 2 more, 1 for you, and after I get it we will figure the rest. He had the sense to get 2 PALLETS of 30lb kegs before they pulled it off the market. Hes got a pallet and a half of them left, hes not advertising the stuff, so its there, its nothing pressing, and as soon as I secure it Ill let you know. Got a factory rebuilt compresser with a 1yr warranty, 1200$. It will be here tomorrow! Not planning to go to Santa-Fa, but that,ll be the last one we miss.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-23-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Sounds good Joe. Hopefully I won't be needing anymore in the near future, but it might be a good thing to keep on hand! No hurry on my end.