Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart car as toad

The newer Smarts are 10 CM longer and I don't know if there is a weight change with the roomier 10 CM's. I definety want to get one.
    GregM

dalej Guest

3.937 inches for those that don't like metric.

lewpopp Guest

For those who don't like metric or do not know metric?

RDHoyum Guest

My apologies for not staying with the discussion! I fell ill just after Christmas and only came back to work this past week. I've confirmed my smart car order, just awaiting notice of expected delivery timeframe.

I also just saw the planned mini-rally at Rancho next week and will be traveling there to meet some new faces.

Peter, since you have a smart we'll have even more to discuss. Can't wait.

Randy,

Looking forward to meeting you too. What day do you plan to arrive? I will be pulling in there tomorrow late afternoon.

Ken

Default Smart Car, Dumb Question

I too just "reserved" a Smart Car...now that a few folks have them are you towing them or carrying them in the papoose?

John

RDHoyum Guest

If you just now reserved, it'll be 2009...or later before yours is available. The '08 production allotment is sold out.

If you really want one, spend some time at your dealer and get on their "orphan" list(s). Let them know you're very interested and it's likely they'll give you some calls when they have unclaimed(orphans) available.

I ordered/reserved in May '07 and my vehicle has not yet arrived. However, I was diligent at the dealer and got one on May 12th, 2008.

Have not yet set it up for towing, but plan to. Blue Ox has a tow bar mount available and the car still looks nice when modified.

I tried to get a link from the www.smartcarofamerica.com web forum, but it seems to be not working at the time. Check under the "towing" section to find some discussion and photos of a smart set-up for towing.

Happy to discuss the smart car with anyone interested.

I did the $100 reserve a car deal on 08/08/2007 and they still say my arrive date is early 2009. Hard to do much about it when the closest dealer is 200 miles away but the orphan deal sounds interesting so I'll call them again. Thanks for the idea.

So guys, tell me on the Orphan List is there a dealer "pack"? I have been down this road before when dealers will take a car that they feel is going to be a hot seller and add 5 grand and then have the balz to tag it "additional dealer profit".

I have also noticed a number of dealers and private parties who have Smart Cars listed with basically zero miles....not un common to see between 18 and 22 k for the ask. They are all over the internet if you want to have a look...Google "Smart Cars For Sale" and prepare yourself for a shock.

I'll wait til 2009 when supply catches up to the demand...maybe sooner in this economy!

John

Randy,

Found the link...web site is sure familiar. Now for the link within the link
    http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1559053

Looks like there is a hellava backlog as mentioned earlier, Smart claims 50,000 reservations for the US Market alone, not to mention the 36 other countries!

I think it will be one great toad considering it weighs a scant 1800 pounds, too bad there is no diesel for the US market.

Little known fact...Smart Car was founded by the people who produced the Swatch...remember those; subsequently sold to Daimler-Benz....

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 05-31-2008 at 12:11 AM.