Thread: cruise air again

Default cruise air again

For those of us that don't have OTR air and have those basement air units I wonder if we could improve our going down the road air? Could there be a way to block off the outside air intake and pull air from inside the coach or elsewhere?

GregM

Greg,

If you want to improve their performance there are several things you can do. First, make sure the condensing coils are clean and that air can flow freely through them. Sand, dust, dirt, etc can accumulate from years of travel and it loses efficiency. Joe C posted about a coil cleaner that he used. Maybe someone can provide a link to the information he posted.

Make sure the air path to the condenser is open and that any baffles that are intended to separate the cooler intake air from the hot exhaust air are in place.

If they still are not functioning satisfactorily the only alternative and not a very practical one is to bring fresh air into the condensing unit from as high up as possible so it is not pulling in the very hot air radiating from the highway.

You cannot bring the air from inside the coach for this purpose because that air will have to be replaced, and it is probable to do so you will pull outside heated air into the very space you are trying to cool.

Greg, you may want to take a look at Steve Bennett's coach when you join us at ORA in January. I've spoken to him in the past, and he indicated he has a major fan in front of his bus blowing over the cruise air condensors, and he's indicated to me he can get it very very cold in his bus.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I've not seen that Ray but we only have 2 of 3 up front and there is ample room to do that.

That sounds interesting.

Get a picture of that posted up when ya go, could ja?

wrongagain Guest

just tried to post but somehow lost it, lets try again.
    in the screened off area under the bus by the front axle where you can see the cruisairs you could mount an electric radiator fan or two like the one I had on my 55 chevy, it cooled a sbc 383 stroker motor so I am sure it would move more than enough air to add cooling to an area that size.
    they have them in puller and pusher type, thermostat control, weather proof, etc.
    check out
    www.jegs.com
    www.summitracing.com

If I put a fan at the screen area in front do I want to pull air thru the area or push air into the are?

The mid condensor has it's inlet and outlet really close together and this summer I made a new scoup to direct the intake and outtake away from each other. This is the unit that I think it would help the most to have fan added.

Greg

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Greg the existing squirrel cage is pulling air in and pushing it out the bottom on ours. I would position the fan blowing at the condenser.

Ray is gonna get us a picture.

Good idea Ed, same thing I used for the generator bay.