Jeff posted an article on Prevost-Stuff about the new Volvo engine. Since I was a witness to the switch from the 8V92 to the Series 60 I am more than a little amazed that this engine change is not paraded before the customer base as a similar step up.

The 8V92 was the standard for years and it was replaced by the Series 60 because of improved emissions required by new EPA standards, but was actually a vast improvement in other respects.

The Series 60 started life as a computer engine. The 8V92 had those features added as an afterthought. The Series 60 offered mileage in the 7 to 8 MPG range compared to the 5 to 6 MPG of the 8V92. Torque was higher on the Series 60. And at the time it got a real boost by being proclaimed as a million mile engine, so it had a longer life than the 8V92.

What is missing in the Volvo engine introduction is mention of a single improvement over the Series 60 with the latest emissions controls. If there is a benefit, other than Volvo owned Prevost using Volvo engines I can't see it.

Does this mean Prevost service centers will actually start working on the engines instead of sending a coach owner to Detroit Diesel? Does this mean there will be as many service centers to take care of the engine as there are now? Has this engine gotten millions of miles of testing over the road in commercial trucks before it was fitted into a bus like the Series 60 was, or are motorhome owners test pilots?