Thread: The New Volvo Engine ??????

Hybrid View

The entertainer shells have the long wheel base for a number of reasons, some of which may not be valid.

At one time Eagle owned that market because the torsion bar suspension used apparently gave a particular ride motion that was favorable to those sleeping in the bunks in the entertainer coach. At least that is the story that was being told.

When Eagle fell on hard times which was around the time 45 foot coaches became legal Prevost agressively pursued that market. To counter the claim the torsion bar suspension gave a better ride to the sleepers in the bunk, Prevost claimed their longer wheel base equalled or bettered that, and it offered a much larger storage area in the bays for equipment and other gear.

As a result the long wheel base shell became the third offering. The turning radius issue was forever mitigated with the IFS so turning wasn't that much different from the Prevost 40 footer with solid axle. Today that market is cloudy to the extent that some entertainer coaches are MH chassis with slides. Look on the internet and you will see a lot of coaches offered with bunks and slides and they are MH chassis coaches.

It is my opinion that most entertainer coaches with the long wheel base are heavily loaded on the front axle. I don't know why Prevost looks the other way, but when the trend now for entertainers is robust dual systems and it is common for them to have two generators, five roof AC units and almost every other system we have they are likely pushing the absolute limit for front end capacity, especially when the 8 or ten occupants are in the front lounge.

Default Occupancy?

During the recent Drug Bust of a Prevost here locally there were 16 Occupants. Can you imagine? They probably thought the jail cell was an upgrade.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost