Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost-Stuff.com. Learned more there?

lewpopp Guest

Default Prevost-Stuff.com. Learned more there?

Why is it that all of a sudden the Prevost discussion has a lot more to offer than the POG?

Is it that the guy that are learning feel more comfortable there than going to POG and getting ridiculed. I have no fear, but some people are easily intimidated.

I'm also trying to become a menber of the Joint Chiefs of Staff so I can suck up and get some stars.

Talking Air Raaaaid

Just kidding........

I think Lew has a valid observation. Maybe the answer is that there are more on the prevost-stuff site so there are going to be more posts and responses.

I can tell you that if a question is asked there, I answer there, and then sometimes find the same question is asked on the POG. Maybe I should reverse my list of sites I visit.

I doubt if anybody on the POG is intimidated. Very few have shied away from picking on anybody or exposing themselves to teasing. Except Lew. He seems to intuitively know when to take a shot, and how to ignore the resulting return of fire.

The recent postings from Coloradobus about leaking hub cover seal shows a perfect example of why his question and the ensuing discussion should have been on the POG site. First, if he included a photo of the leak area it might have shown hub cap brackets attached by using the hub removal holes instead of the studs. Then when questions and discussions followed, more photos could have been posted. Maybe the fault here lies with POG members and their fear to state the obvious on prevost-stuff. The obvious to me is to post questions on this forum so we can SEE what is being discussed.

I'll volunteer to start suggesting those who post certain questions to move their question to POG along with photos.

A question for Jeff or Jim: Is there any way to review among the numbers of POG members who actively post on prevost-stuff and who regularly post on prevost-stuff who are not POG members? If the answer is that few prevost-stuff regulars are not POG mmembers then maybe we should bias forum discussions to this site.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

There will be a conversation at the POG rally about the two boards and how they may be working differently in the future.

POG members will have the opportunity to voice their opinions about several options which are under consideration.

There are advantages and disadvantages to many of the options; we've decided to talk about this in person rather than to try to post our way through the decision-making process.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Member of the Milwaukee Heavy Duty Club

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Websites

At the rally, there were a couple of conversations going on at the same time while we were discussing the operations of this site and some smart person said that the two sites should be combined (Prevost-stuff and POG).

Since our basic rule is that the person who brings up the idea owns it, can the person who brought that up tell us a little more about the idea?

Thank you, thank you very much.

I don't know if you are referring to me, but we have discussed the Cessna owner's site (www.cessna.org ) and they have a two part set-up.

Some of the site requires membership and the other part is open to all.

The information sharing part of POG should require membership. The POG forum should require membership, but Mango suggested last night that maybe to entice new members the forum should be open for free for one month or something like that.

We discussed only leaving posts on Prevost-stuff for a very short time frame, and move the older posts to the POG forum.

What I do not understand is how you or Jim make money from these sites, so maybe you want to open everything up for free to get the hits so your advertisers "pay" your profits. Bus-nuts is an example like that.

AOPA and Cessna Pilots Association exist because of memberships and thus can limit their site's access.

Ben Guest

Posting photos on the POG site requires that those photos be posted on another site (which I consider to be a huge pain in the A$$, so you won't see me posting my photos), so how is the posting of photos a real advantage of the POG site since someone could just as easily link to photos that are on an external site? This is the only board I've ever posted to that can technically show photos but requires them to be located on an external site.

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Hey Ben

You can post any image up to 97.7kb directly to the site without a link. If this is a problem in size, we can increase it!

Default Cost of running a site?

What I do not understand is how you or Jim make money from these sites
    Certainly in a time sense, managing a board like this is a huge personal committment. But, costwise, the cost of a bulletin board system these days is really pretty minimal.

• The vBulletin software costs $160 (one time fee) to own outright. Optional maintenance is $30/year.
    • A cheap website can run as little as $10/mo.
    • A reasonable website about $40.
    • A really nice one with good amount of space, $100/mo.

Prices above are assuming you are leasing time on a shared server, most likely with a VPS (virtual private server option). Costs CAN get a lot higher if you own your own server, leased lines etc.