Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Pump Location?

dreamchasers Guest

Default Power Steering Pump Location?

I have discovered I have a very slight power steering (hydraulic) oil leak. I can see the results of oil wet wiring on the forward, right side of the engine compartment, viewing from underneath. I have read references to o'ring leaks on the power steering pump. Is this reference made to the 8V92 or the Series 60 engine that I have?

And where is the Series 60 hydraulic pump located?

Yes, I am very green.

Hector

Hector.....

If the leak is in the front (actually the motor is backwards in a bus so it would be the rear) it may not be from the pump. Check at the reservoir, and if not there it may be from the air over hydraulic system that supports the coach when the tag lifts automatically on hard turns.

Here's the pump....
    Attached Images Attached Images

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Hector.....

If the leak is in the front (actually the motor is backwards in a bus so it would be the rear) it may not be from the pump. Check at the reservoir, and if not there it may be from the air over hydraulic system that supports the coach when the tag lifts automatically on hard turns.

Here's the pump....
    Humm, Air over hydraulic system.... So that what those things are. I have two 'large shock absorber look alike devices' connected to the bus frame and the rear axle, near the rear pumpkin. They have, what looks like air lines and other lines connected to a device mounted under the floor of the bus. Whew!

Where can I find information concerning this system? Is this a Prevost system? I have noticed that one of 'shocks' has a ruptured seal and evidence of oil leaking. So it is on the list for replacement.

As a newbie, I am quickly learning the majority of maintenance and repairs are done 'underneath' the bus. That pit option is looking better and better in my soon to be built storage building.

Any help appreciated.

Hector

OK Jon, air shocks or ?

The air over hydraulic is part of a tag lift system Prevost has on 45 foot coaches. Obviously hector has it because his description is correct.

When the 45' coach steering wheel is turned to the full extent in either direction, a device on the steering arm up front actuates a microswitch lever arm. This is to facilitate sharp turns. The tag axle air is dumped with the actuation of the switch, but if that were to occur while the bus had minimal clearance at the rear, the dumping of air in the tag axle air bag would cause the rear to drop and the bus could end up scraping the ground or a driveway.

To prevent the rear from sagging as an additional 12000 pounds from the tag is now shifted to the drive axle air bags the air over hydraulic system is actuated and hydraulic pressure to the devices that look like shock absorbers is used. The system uses the same fluid as the power steering system and the reservoir is on the forward bulkhead in front of the drive axle.

I think Prevost calls them "stabilizators".

I do not think the system is engaged when the tag is manually lifted. Because of this I would suggest anyone with this system on a 45' coach to not lift the tag axle manually as is often suggested, but to let the system function automatically.

Hmm, was that year specific, I sure don't have those..

Tom,

I do not know if it was year specific, or if it was an option. It is not on 40 foot coaches to the best of my knowledge. I was under the impression that feature was standard on the 45' coaches because when they first were introduced by Prevost the automatic tag lift was incorporated to improve the turning radius.

When Prevost came out with the IFS, and the greater angle of front tire cut, the feature may have been eliminated because of the improved turn radius. If that is the case it would be on all 45' coaches up to around serial number T5870 or T5880 (I don't know the exact serial number for the first IFS)

Hello Jon,

Just a quick question, did Liberty negate that feature? I remember Frank telling me that they had stopped that function so no automatic tag axle dump at full turn.

Kim,

There was a post sometime back about Marathon negating it, but I have not heard that Liberty disabled the feature. I do not know if Marathon did disable it or if that was rumor.

I have no idea why anybody would want it disabled because if the tag axle airbags are dumped about 12000 pounds is added to the drive axle air bags and the rear of the coach drops. That might not seem like a big deal, but if your exhaust pipes or hitch or oil pan are already close to the ground, they suddenly hit the ground, and with the coach moving and turning that cannot be a good thing.

Jon,

I was the one that told you about Marathon not using the system after a certain year, as was told to me by the folks in San Antonio. The reason stated was they had some bad experiences with guys pulling huge stacker trailers where the tag dumped and lots of damage was done to the undercarriage when the whole ass end hit the ground.

Yea I know, common sense out the window....