Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise Air Problem

The bus should always be plugged into this unit directly.

Just so I'm clear. Are you saying that the order should have been:

bus -> device -> extension -> house plug

or

bus -> extension -> device -> house plug

I'm guessing that the latter would NOT detect a failure, as it's on the wrong side of the detection circuits? Does the device detect miswired on the bus side too? That would surprise me ....

Ray

The louvers in my coach are air acutated so I can switch them open or close depending on what is needed. If your cruise aire does not turn on, check for voltage first. My controller over my front door is tempermental and I actuallly have to tap on it a few times to get it to read and work.
    Mango, what Jon is saying is correct, Your unit is plugged in outside at the power source, it does not read anything on the cord side to the coach. The best thing in this case is to have surge protection in the Coach where the cord connects to the transfer switch.
    Last edited by garyde; 12-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ted
    the SMX wires go to a Box, I forget the name of them but they are labeled something like PMA. Mine had two under a couch in the salon and the thrid one behind the TV in the bedroom. I think they are position close to the condensors. It is a white metal box that has a cover that covers two sides and the top. Inside you should finds a fuse. I had a problem but after looking inside all the boxes I found no problems. I took the SMX off the wall and found that one of the wires in the cable had come off, reattached that one wire and I'm up and running.
    GregM
    Last edited by gmcbuffalo; 12-10-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Ted,Liberty modified the bay on the drivers side to recirculate 100% of the AC or heat.I think this happened when r12 freon was no longer the standard.It works great with the 134 freon,on other coaches that have not closed off the fresh air mix the temperature difference is between 8-10 degrees less.On a 98 degree day last summer I could maintain 70-72 degrees inside my Liberty with the OTR air.

To add to Jack's post, our 87 Liberty had the outside air vent capped as does my 97. The 87 used R12, and the current one 134A.

Capping the fresh air intake makes the system cool the inside of the coach more efficiently (it is like the max AC position on a car).

Ray,

bus -> device -> extension -> house plug

Is correct. If you somehow rewired your bus on inside, would it detect a reverse polarity? Can't answer that. But if you try it - let us know.

Mike
    IMG_7197.jpg

So the consensus is to leave these vents blocked off. Easy enough.

Mike, I bought the high dollar plug in deal this morning. Kinda like closing the barn door after the horse gets out. But, there's always another horse.

I fully expect the Cruise Aire to start working again when I plug up with the new (high dollar) deal since Mike has such high praise for these things.

These self inflected problems are such a fun way to learn the bus. I think I'll go out and see what else I can fiddle with till it breaks.

"These self inflected problems are such a fun way to learn the bus. I think I'll go out and see what else I can fiddle with till it breaks."

It is clear to me that Ted is about to learn why all of us who have done this can feel confident answering questions. At least those of us who have the capacity to learn from our misteaks.

I believe that the majority of the stuff we've learned about our busses have been the hard (read expensive) way.

But then we'd have nothing to post about except flatulence.

Mel Torme I wouldn't hold my breath on the the cruise air working after the device is installed.

Mike