Thread: approach and short final; tight campground spot

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Default approach and short final; tight campground spot

Double posted on www.prevost-stuff.com

I know most of you already knew this but were letting me figure it out on my own!

Many campgrounds have relatively narrow roads that make it difficult to back a long coach into the site.

Many of us make the mistake of appraoching the site by being in the middle of the road prior to backing in. Our turn is thus limited by the swing of the front end--other coaches, vehicles. No sweat if the camground road is wide.

Instead, approch the intended camp site as close to it as possible. That is, closest to the left of the coach as you possibly can. Then pull straight forward to a given point on your coach. On mine it is about 12 feet back. Then lock the wheel to the right and pull as far forward as obstructions allow. This will,of course, bring the front of the coach far to the right and, correctly done, position the ass end correctly for the next move.

Cut the wheel hard to the left and start backing. the back end will start going into the site as the front end now has room to swing.

Once the appropriate line up is made, short final into the site is easy.

Practice this a few times in a parking lot to get to know the check points on your coach. What you finally want to know is the absolute minimum width of the campground road to the immediate left front of your anticipated site.

Yes, you will want the tag up.

To get out, reverse the whole deally.

To the right is a little more trickey.

I haven't really experimented with pulling into or out of a tight spot with restricted turning room.

Additional info. Some larger equipment seems to have a shorter turning radius to the left as a result of steering geometry. So I have been told but don't know if it is true in the case of Prevost.

An experienced bus driver showed me this technique. I would be interested any any other tight manuvering tips anyone else may have.

You might want to ask why you would want to know how do this?
    A. To win beer bets and admiring adulation from the on lookers.

Good post! I'll pass it on to Janice, since she's usually the one parking the bus.

Makes for a lot of interesting conversations with all the onlookers when we get to a site and I get out of the drivers seat to have her park it.

I think this arrangement came about as I was explaining that any damage to the bus is blamed on the spotter/guide, and never on the driver......