Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92 Angola Bathroom Outlets not working

Default 92 Angola Bathroom Outlets not working

Good morning from East Tennessee. This is our first post, so hope we're doing according to etiquette on forum.

I spent night in bus last three nights, using generator. Has been below freezing two of three nights, and cold on non-freezing night. I had two little portable heaters plugged in, one at non-GFCI outlet near kitchen sink, one 1500W heater at non-GFCI outlet near bathroom sink. Total draw was 20 on top right reading on Bass Panel. Generator was running.

Sometime during night, 1500W heater that was plugged in to outlet in bathroom stopped. Didn't notice when. Only when I woke up did I notice the orange "ON" light was no longer on.

So I looked for any flipped switches on Bass Panel. Found none. Took 1500W heater to outlet at kitchen sink and plugged it in there. It worked. Took heater which I had plugged in at kitchen sink (which worked all night) and plugged it in to outlet next to bath sink. It did not work. Plugged heaters in separately to GFCI outlet in bathroom. Neither heater worked in the GFCI outlet, either.

Bathroom electrical outlets are near/next to combo washer/dryer. On Bass Panel, washer/dryer switch is in off position, and has been in off position when heater was working while plugged in at bathroom. In any event, we tried flipping it on but did not light to show working.

Flipped each switch on Bass Panel which looked related to Receptacle or Outlet. No change. Neither bathroom outlet works yet.

GFCI receptacle in bathroom has switch next to it (residential style light switch, rocker style). Tried it in both positions and tried reset on GFCI button. No change in result.

Looked in bedroom for any other GFCI outlet which might have tripped. None found.

Those are the things we newbies (we have owned this only six days now, so obviously we have lots to learn) can think of to try. Any ideas from anyone, we'd sure appreciate hearing. In advance, thank you all.

Debbie and Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Debbi and Eric,

I hope this was Debbie Posting because we need more women on this board besides BOB-00's Debi.

Welcome to POG.

I had a similar occurance and it was traced down to another GFI that was hidden under a counter. Usually the 115v wiring setup so that the first outlet in the line has the GFI and the rest are just garden variety type outlets. I would continue to search for another GFI.

Hopefully another Angola owner will chip in with additional, more insightful advice.

Just out of curiosity don't you have a Webasto (or Aquahot) on board? Will save you from running the generator all night and the heat is excellent and fuel efficient at only .35 gallons per hour, when running.

By the way good detail on the posting. The POG Brothers like that.

The good news is that you're in the same state as Jon, and he makes house calls. Just tell him Mango sent you.

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 12-06-2007 at 12:11 PM.

I had the same happen. Removed recepticle, went to home depot, bought new one and installed.

Darrell,

First post and already you're offering help. The POG gods are smiling.

Welcome to POG and keep the info coming.

Mike

Mango,

Unfortunately, the former Angola owner (who shall remain nameless) had the same idea about another GFI outlet located close by in the coach. No such luck for Debbie and Eric. Since the former owner was about as useful as a screen door in a submarine, I suggested that they call Panterra Coach in Angola to see if they may remember the set up and have any ideas.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I don't have a dog in this fight, but since I don't want the seller to get a bad name, and I don't want the buyer to be unhappy with his new purchase I can offer only a little advice that may help.

The typical GFCI receptacles sold at Lowe's and Home Depot are 15 amp. If Eric or Deb are going shopping make sure to get a 20 Amp GFCI, if not at the big box stores, but at a real electric supply house. If we get an invite to see the new coach I can even pull one from my garage electric box and bring it with me.

Eric.....(or Deb who really does the work), follow the outlets from th eelectric panel and check for power. The GFCI is usually first, and if it does not have power on the inlet side that may be the problem and Darrel has hit it on the head. If you do not have a multi tester give me a call.

Now it's all come together. I see said the blind man.

mm

Welcome Eric & Debbie. You did not mention if you tested the bath GFI by pressing the reset button and then resetting. If you have a volt meter, Test the hot side (right)of recepticle to the nuetral side(left), and then from hot to ground(u-shaped). If the GfI trips when testing, it is probably OK. The adjacent recepticle, if it still does not have power, you may have a loose wire behind the recepticle or the GFI recepticle. Turn off circuit prior to workingon recepticles.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Howdy all. The Doctor makes house calls! Jon came up from Knoxville to see our coach, and do a little troubleshooting. GFCI outlet in bathroom bad, now good thanks to his handy work. It was that simple. Thanks to everyone who gave us ideas! Deb/Eric

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The ambassador of good will. Just make sure to keep the kids locked up