Thread: Surge Protector and Voltage Regulation

Default Surge Protector and Voltage Regulation

There has been some talk lately about electrical issues. After reading Kim's (see below) post about a voltage strike and a recommendation Last summer by Dale (roadrunner) I purchased a protector. I use it religiously and a couple of days ago it detected a spike of voltage greater than 132 volts and shut down. Resetting itself automatically when the power was back in range. I felt it was time to share.

I've posted some detailed information on this unit over at Prevoman in the Cool Bus Tools section.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%2.../Surgepg1.html

surgeLG7201.jpg

Mike

Kim Sloan's Post - May 2007:
    " Just an interesting story.as you know from POG III I always use the surge protector with the coach. We are at a state fairgrounds for a horse show. we are plugged into 50 amps. Three days ago major power surge. My surge protector sacrificed itself, but saved the bus. Two other Prevosts not as lucky with major electrical damage. A 65,000 volt line crossed with a 12,000 volt line and sent major power surge.

I have to buy new protector (actually already did prior to seeing the new post reference a better price), but that is cheap compared to the bill for the other Prevosts."

Kim Sloan
    Last edited by MangoMike; 12-06-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Thumbs up

We are using the same surge protector for the last 4 years with great success, even when we are connected at our house. Save our bus few times already at different campgrounds. Very good product !

Jeff Bayley Guest

I put a post up yesterday under the subject of "Leviton" which as the manufacture of a surge protector tied into my transfer switch. I'm going to order one of these inline one's right now for redundant protection. You can read the post if curious as it does relate to this topic.

What I did yesterday was take out the faulty surge protector and dropped it off at this electronics repair palce I used before to fix my 24volt charger on the bus for the chassis batteries. These chargers like $400. I coldn't find a more reasonable "deal" on one. Strange since you can get a proffesional heavy duty mechanic tpe battery charger for way less than that. They fixed it for $100.

They called me today to say the surge protector was fixed. Just a little component they replaced. Around $90 so I put it back together the way it was designed anyway. I can't belive they have the nerve to charge $700 for those surger protectors new.

Don't throw your high dollar electrical components out and buy new ones before letting a repair place take a stab at it. I"m 2 for 2.