Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinless Slides

pognumber26 Guest

Default Pinless Slides

I forgot to mention that while I was at Marathon a few weeks ago I saw the frist '07 PINLESS slides...I saw both the Valid and Prevost versions..SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT !! After receiving a full day pin tuneup ,I was in AWE of this next step in the evolution of Prevost slideouts...

lewpopp Guest

You mean to say you saw something before the Southern Command did?

You may be punished severly for this. Never release any info unless S C approves. Just mention it to him and he'll say he saw it or knew it and then it's okay to release your findings.

R Francis has MPD. He sounds like it will be a new coach every year or at least as often as the converters keep coming out with the latest and greatest.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Here's the link to the Valid slide:

http://www.validmanufacturing.com/slides.php

Valid has tried to enter into the OEM market for a number of years, but was blocked by Prevost due to a NIH syndrome. They have made some interesting products, not the least of which is a Prevost retrofit. Grant something-or-other once said that with their air control system they could lift a front wheel of a Prevost off the ground while maintaining a level coach; but that Prevost wouldn't even look at it.

Lots of people see stuff before SC tinkers with little bits of information. Hey, it's America, all ideas are welcome!

What I found interesting is that in the Valid promotional information they completely disregard the fact that the minute a Prevost shell is cut out for a slide, the bus falls in pieces unless some provision is made to compensate for the fact that the entire longitudinal frame structure has had a section (or two) removed.

Since some entertainer coaches are now using slides, I would like to see how the structure holds up after 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles. When the slides are extended the shell is not subjected to the vibrations and stresses of over the road travel. When the coach has the slides retracted, and is traveling the shell is subjected to all sorts of destructive stresses. I believe the pins in the Prevost slides in effect make the slide a portion of the structure of the coach and to build one without pins may compromise the integrity of the shell.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

I don't think that the conversion side of the Valid slides is a technical decision; it is a business decision. Prevost has a ton of non-slide coaches in inventory and, being a buyer's market, $$$ are lower to buy a non-slide XLII and put an aftermarket slide in it.

There are two cases where Prevost took a coach back into the factory and installed a slide and they said they would never do it again.

So, you go to the next best option.

Have a nifty looking aftermarket slide for shorter money.

As to the Prevost pinless slides, haven't seen them in person. I like the first version: When the pins went in, even those of us who are deaf as a post could hear them go in.

Good stuff.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I have some reservations about the Prevost slides, and I would be very concerned about non-Prevost slides. Maybe I am too worried about an issue that may be in fact a non-issue, but when you see how the coach is built knowing the structure has been cut in half by adding a slide it does create a concern

Was in Camp Prevost last Monday in Nashville and talked to a fellow who owned an 05 XLII and was there for problems with the slide. I'm like Jon, just can't be convinced the structure is sound after cutting big holes in the bus. After two CC's with slides and lots of problems, I won't be looking back.

pognumber26 Guest

Default Slides!!!!

There are HUNDREDS of Prevost slide coaches in use and after speaking with dozens of owners/Several Prevost techs and two major converters, I am of the opinion that the slide issue is a non starter...Prevost/Valid have worked out the problem...I hear more safety issues/stories around tire inflation protocols on TIRES then slide reasons...I also believe the marketplace is a CRUEL sounding board for problems in design and as I understand it, NON-SLIDE coaches are by SPECIAL ORDER ONLY from most converters today... I am not suprised in the CC slide problems, several FORMER CC owners voiced slide problems along with a host of other complaints...The NON PIN version is new but hardly unproven...Prevost like Marathon is a world class company and spent a great deal of time and money in the r&d phase...Evolution happens and living in a DS coach is an AMAZINGLY roomy experience!!! I had the privelage of sitting in on a Prevost presetation on the updated H3-45 shell and was pleased to see the direction of evolution...Our next coach will be a Marathon H3 TRIPLE slide on this updated chasis with the new Marathon computer updates!!! But I have been sworn to secrecy and would have to kill all of you if I revealed anything(ha ha)...I am looking for a CURE for MPD because as Jon says...I'VE GOT IT BADDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

lewpopp Guest

Default Visiting Prevost Country Club w/Lewbucks

Here I am broken hearted, goin' to drop a bunch and have no choice.

I have such an old coach and I plan on keeping it for as long as I live. As old as I am, who knows. My bride can find someone with Jonbucks and get an updated model if she wants.

Now to what they found. Took it for a ride and it moved a lot down the road. That's good because the tooth never aches when you go to the dentist. So it was inspected upon return and found that the radial arm bushings were apparently allowing the coach to sway back and forth. Markings on different spots were evident of that happening.

That's the good news. Now the bad. I not only need all of the bushings but all of the shocks are leaking or have been leaking. I expect they have been that way for a long while because I'm

sure the oil has ceased coming out of the shocks due to them probably being empty.

I will be here for a few days and I need some more Lewbucks than Lew has. What's a mother to do?

Look up Prevost Jacksonville's address and sent all you have.

They said they would align it for nothing at the end for nothing because of all of my problems. I will say that after I asked to sit down with the branch manager and the service guy at the beginning, they listened to everything I had to say and I wish I had done the same on previous visits.

If these repairs do not completely improve the roadability of this coach, I'll sell the son-of-a-bitch and get a plastic box.

I think the free alignment is a panacea or a peace offering that may not be needed. I told them I want to drive the coach prior to the alignment.