Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From a Newbie

dreamchasers Guest

Default Hello From a Newbie

Hello,

You guessed it, another newbie. I recently purchased a 1995 Prevost, 45 XL, Country Coach. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different systems, but I have been reading the manuals and instructions that came with the coach. I have learned much from reading all the past post, my thanks to all the technical contributors.

My newbie question is what temperature does the engine coolant normally run? This unit seems to cycle between 195 and 200 while driving down the freeway. Is that normal? And what temperature is considered high on the Detroit Series 60, 470 HP engine.

This is the most informative forum I have ever joined.

Thanks,

Hector in Livingston, Texas
    http://www.dreamchasers.us

Hector,

Welcome to the POG board and don't pay attention to all the numbnuts.

Depending on which gauge I look at, the water temp gets as high as 205 and as low as 195 depending on whats going on. I think this is pretty much normal for the Series 60. My 8V92 ran between 195 and 210 when it was pulling hard in the mountains, but I think the gauge was a little off. The one in the engine compartment always read a little cooler.

Default Welcome

Welcome aboard Hector, you will have a great time here, just sit back and enoy the ride!

Do your best to get to a rally and meet the real head cases (truk) in person!

Hector,

Welcome aboard, glad you joined up. My CC runs the same as yours, so your temps are good. Keep the questions coming, we'll make up something if we don't have an answer.

Never trust a guy by the name of jeep....

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchasers View Post
    Hello,
    You guessed it, another newbie.
    Hector in Livingston, Texas
    http://www.dreamchasers.us

Welcome Hector, Lee and "Daisy".. I chuckled when I read the quote on your blog that stated you were spending your children's inheritance one gallon at a time I don't have the answer to your question but I have no doubt that you will get more then enough feedback from the guys with CC coaches.

Debi (and Bob too, he's around here somewhere??)

Hello Hector,

Welcome to POG !
    We have 1996 CC, same engine, which records the same temps.

Petervs Guest

Hello Hector, welcome.

My 94 Series 60 has a little added feature, there are two little lights on the dash that illuminate when the engine cooling fan is running on low speed and high speed. When you first start the bus, neither is on, until the coolant warms up. When the coolant hits about 190 the low fan turns on.

Normal driving has the gauge at 195 which I think is the thermostat set temperature, and the fan is on low all the time.

When it is hot or you pull a hill, there is a little more heat to dissipate, so when the coolant hits 200 the fan goes to high speed until the temp drops again, and the high fan goes off. On the biggest hill on the hottest day I have never seen it go higher than 210.

That is normal operation on mine. Yours sounds normal too, just having the little lights gives me great visibility on what is going on back there.

Hector, Welcome to POG.

The guru's as POG4 offered up these temp milestones:

217 degrees - Check engine light comes on.

222 degrees - Engine shuts down to prevent heat damage.

Add this to the knowledgebase.

Mike

dalej Guest

I was sitting accross from Mike in the meeting at POG4, he was writing all this down on paper...so you can believe him on this one.

Come on Dale, he was writing it on a stinking paper sack and we used it at the party to stuff some trash in and I personally threw it away.

He is just making this crap up.