Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Voltage, well regulated, please...

win42 Guest

Darl: I would and did on my Royal move those wires to the main 24V disconnect switch. When the switch is off for storage the wires receive no chance to drain. If you add a battery charger, I would suggest a 24V " Battery Tender". I also leave a 12V "Battery Tender" on my house batteries when stored. Sorry I did not get up to Reno to help you, not saying I would have found the proublem, but sometime two heads are better than one. Even an old head. Get your volt meter replaced, they are a must around our busses. I'm also adding an ampmeter to my box.

Jon,
    Thanks for the info; now I know why my chassis batteries go dead within a week even with the switches off. I added a 24v Battery Tender and have not had a problem for over a year.

The value of POG is invaluable!!!!

Harry and Darl......What Harry is doing on his DDEC2 8V92 probably has zero effect on the DDEC memory, however Darl, with DDEC3 may be in the age range when each disconnect of those circuits erases what might be valuable memory logging for a tech.

I think Detroit wanted power to those circuits for that reason and still unclear to me is why some coaches appear to lose the batteries quickly and others are seemingly unaffected. It might be software related to the injector solenoids. don't really know.

Default Bus a work in progress

Have added the battery tender and everything appears fine . Went to crank bus this am and got all the normal clicks and rpm ind. went over and back but only the battery balance light comes on as normal when starting, but no starter turn over. Went to rear and started engine with no problem. Batteries are fine. Any ideas? Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Dan,

I'd have to dig into the wiring diagrams a little. What year coach?

Gut feel tells me the problem is between one of the rear CBs and the key start which might involve a relay or CB up front. On my old coach I had a bad relay that caused that. It was located in the front box.

Default coach year

It is a 97 . Have not looked at circuit breakers under drivers door, but will do later today. Just seems strange it coincided with hookup of battery tender or maybe it was connected to that.

Probably unrelated, but i'll look at the wiring diagrams and see what i can see for places to check.

Default More info

I was mistaken on dash lights---everything lights up as always but no starter. Checked all breakers in rear and under driver to no avail. Where are the large breakers I have heard you speak about that are hard to reset? Thanks for the help!!

Dan, This is based on a quick look...Check CB18 in the rear box and CB27 in the front. My guess is they are OK but worth checking.

Next to the batteries for the chassis, over the main chassis disconnect switches is a vertical row of big breakers. CB4 and CB7 are power to the front. I suspect they are OK because you have dash instruments / lights. A check for 12 and 24V in the front box will verify they are OK.

Check relays R1 and R2. They might be the problem. Most relays are the same so switch with the same relay used for lights or something unrelated to starting to verify they are OK.

I am going by drawings of the wiring picked at random because from the 96 shell and up Prevost does not differentiate between model years or serial numbers so if my guesses do not make sense that is why.

Default Breakers

Dan, on my coach those breakers are are on the same panel as the 12V and 24V cut-off switch. Good Luck!