Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltage, well regulated, please...

Default Voltage, well regulated, please...

I have noticed that when I start up the bus and let it run, I am seeing in excess of 15 volts on the gauges, both house and chassis batteries.

Additionally, my inverters shut off and the display for each indicates over-charging of the batteries.

So, am I correct in thinking that the voltage regulator needs replacement or simply adjustment?

And, if adjusting the regulator is the answer, how would it have gotten "out" of adjustment, or does this indicate that something is going on with the alternator?

Default Overcharging

Paul, I may not be the best person to answer this but I recently had a similar experience and found that the battery cables on the house batteries were corroded. I was at a repair facility in Eugene, OR and the mechanic diagnosed this as being a problem with my batteries. As a long-ago, ex-service manager I checked this out on my own and noticed the corrosion. Even though the mechanic, who insisted new batteries were in order, was reluctant to take the advice of an "amateur", did as I told him. That little correction eliminated the need for several thousand dollars in new batteries. As I understand it the mechanic is no longer with this company. This occured in August of this year. I have not had a problem since.
    I am sure someone else (Jon?) will jump in and give you some more help and maybe better advice but this is what worked in my case. It certainly won't harm anything to check this out where making ill-advised adjustments might harm the batteries by overcharging them. Good Luck!!

Darl

dalej Guest

Paul, your voltage regulator might be built in to the alternator. In this case you can just take the
    alternator in and have it checked. Mine is a stand alone regulator so I just replaced mine when I had
    irregular readings, mine didn’t adjust and was cheap! I’m not sure, but don’t think many do.

After replacing my Chasis batteries, I still had low voltage readings, the people at Gem Equipment in Ventura (Detroit Deisel & Allison dealer)diagnosed the problem as bad regulator. I ordered a new regulator from Prevost , replaced the old one. No more problems.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

lewpopp Guest

Dale...What is considered "cheap" on this forum? Remember, we're not all PPs.

Just kidding...Tomorrow I get to watch the "expert" work on Paul's coach. The Trukster is here and he'll perform a miracle for Paul

Speaking of miracles. Paul, since he purchased a Liberty, is waiting for the pope (JON) to appoint him bishop. i. e. Anyone who has a Liberty is closer to God than someone who doesn't.

Nothing else to write about except we proclaimed this a Micro-POG here at ODR. Truk couldn't believe that he ate his meal tonite and no attack came from any angle.

Paul,

Before you go running and changing alternators and voltage regulators I think the problem (if any) should be confirmed.

If I am correct you have a large alternator located between the engine and the AC compressor, and a second alternator located near or on the fan gear box. If that is correct, what are the odds that a dedicated chassis and dedicated house alternator and voltage regulator are both overcharging by the same amount.

My starting point would be to use a good multitester and check voltages at both sets of batteries.

Thanks for all the responses. We (Truk and I, with a cameo by the Lewster) will undertake the installation of the Guest Marine battery charger for the chassis batteries today. Should be painless and straight forward!

I don't know for a fact that the chassis batteries are being over charged by the alternator, I'll check the voltages with the bus running.

What I have seen, is that with the bus running, the inverters shut down, and the "blinking" panel for both inverters indicates an over-charging condition. I'm guessing that if the inverters sense too much voltage being applied to the house batteries that they then shut down and display this "over-charging" condition.

Since the inverters only do this when the bus is running, I'm figuring that the first place to look for a solution is the charging voltage from the alternator via the voltage regulator.

At least, if I can accomplish the charger installation, I can then be assured of being able to move the bus, should the need arise.

By the way.... I've yet to have the pleasure of attending a POG Rally, (we have a self-proclaimed Micro Rally taking place here, complete with a chassis electrical demonstration) but have any of you noticed Lews' love of garlic??? I'm wondering if the sod farm is a cover for a secret garden .......

We need to use precise descriptions of the situation. For example, with the bus running, is the coach still connected to shore power?

An inverter is a charger when it sees a 120V supply. An inverter stops functioning as a charger, and instead converts (inverts?) battery voltage direct current to 120V alternating current when that 120V supply is disconnected.

When it has shore power connected, and the engine is running, the battery charger portion of the inverter likely senses charging current from the alternator and reduces or turns off its output to the batteries.

So......step two in the process is IF there is a 15V house and chassis condition (which seems doubtful) is to turn off the inverters and recheck the voltage at the batteries.

Remember, the inverters have nothing to do with the chassis batteries making them an issue highly unlikely.

dalej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    I am seeing in excess of 15 volts on the gauges, both house and chassis batteries.
    This kind of threw me a bit, chassis batts should be reading in the 26v range. Can you detail this reading.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

We can not charge the chassis with the inverter but CAN charge the house with the 8-V if the equalizer switch is on.

However, the charger in the inverter will automatically adjust according to the state of the batteries and draw on them if supplied with a/c current while the engine is running and equalizer on.

If your house batteries were all charged up but chassis batteries were very low and the reg. has the charge rate cranked up and you have the chassis and house equalized that scenario may overcharge the house?