Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chassis weight

dalej Guest

One of those bone creepers would work, I think. I don't use a creeper. I try to keep my floor clean and wear a lightweight coverall that I keep in one of the bays.

I want to echo what Dale said and add a little for those who are contemplating doing some work under their coach.

Until we moved to TN, for 10 years I did all my coach repairs and maintenance on a barn floor. By raising the coach on the air bags and blocking it with hardwood, I did everything from oil changes and grease jobs to air bag replacement.

I would lay on a creeper at the front bumper and scoot into the area between the front wheels where I could sit up and get access to whatever I needed.

Ditto with the rear, and once I was in the area between the rear wheels I could also do whatever I needed. The areas between wheels are fairly open so it is possible to change brake chambers, suspension valves, air bags, service the air dryer, replace hoses, lube the grease fittings, etc.

I have the hydraulic jacks which work very well, but I also built some ramps that I like to use when working under the bus (that I no longer have) for extended periods of time.

I am now trying to decide if I want to install a pit in the slab I am preparing to pour in the next couple weeks. Not sure if I willl use the pit enough to justify the extra work and expense to build it, especially now that I have the ramps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think one would have a great sense of security working under a bus supported like that.

They look a little heavy but I suppose the correct storage spot in the garage would minimize that problem.

How many sheets of plywood is sitting there?

dalej Guest

I would like everyone to remember that even with the bus on the ramps, the bus still has the air in the bags. You can see the bus is still in road height, just on ramps. You would feel like you have lots of room under there, your sitting up working on the air dryer and then suddenly you loose all your air. Now you don't have the room you thought.

It is Always a good practice to have the body supported.

Joe, It takes 11 sheets of 3/4" plywood. What Dale said is true, but even with the air bags all the way down, there is still ample room under there to move around and work. In addition to the obvious safety hazzard of having a bus fall on you, I just don't like being in cramped spaces, so it is much better from a psychological standpoint, and they are very stable.

They are heavy. Each ramp is 1' wide and 8' long at the bottom. It takes one under each front axle or two under each rear. I just slip a dolly under them and move them from the workshop to my slab when I am working under the bus. For small jobs, I still use the air/hydraulic jacks.
    Dale & Paulette

Lightbulb Bigger Is Better

Dale, you say you are thinking of a pit, but not quite sure for various reasons. Here is another thought, using some facts that you have stated along the way.
    You have lots of room.
    You are going to pour concrete for your garage.
    You don't want to dig a pit for the work involved and that it must be covered to keep rain out.
    You like working under the bus on the ramps but it is too much effort to set them up for small jobs.
    I suggest make a form and pour concrete ramps outdoors the full length of the bus.
    They would always be available and there would be good light all around.
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 11-18-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Jim, The floor I am pouring will be inside. I had a 40' lean-to that has a top and one side, but has never been completely enclosed and has a dirt floor. Although the existing shed is supposed to be rated at 120 mph, it has been destroyed by the last two hurricanes. I am hoping that enclosing it will keep the majority of the wind out and allow the top to stay on.

I am going to extend the back of the building by 12', pour a concrete floor and completely enclose it. That will give me a building that is 52' X 15' and 13' tall on the low side. I am also pouring an 8'X15' concrete apron at the entrance to the building, just so I don't run directly off the dirt into the building. I decided a picture would be better than a description, so I attached a couple. In the picture you can see a 12' batter board for the building extension and then the 8' board that has a little incline for the apron.

I do actually like being outside when working on the bus, so I am not sure if I want to dig the pit, although it would have distinct advantages. I have to make a decision about the pit very soon. If I dig it, it will only be about 25' long, 2' wide and 4' deep.

As the 2nd pictures shows, I have started grading the area. Notice that one of the 4" extruded aluminum posts is missing on the side of the shed. I got a little close to it yesterday with the box blade. I am also expecting some engineering challenges with making the top come out exactly as I want it without it leaking. I want to use 3' metal roofing instead of the 1' trays that are now on the lean-to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

Except for something related to the fuel tank the length of the pit need only extend from the back bumper to the front of the drive axle, plus whatever length you want for the steps going down into the pit.

It looks like you can locate the pit so you can back over it, and turn the coach around to access the underside of the front.

Jim's suggestion is valid, except if you need to reef hard on something, such as fighting to get an air dryer element off, there is no substitute for having your feet planted. If you are sitting under the coach you end up with your butt sliding around while you try to apply force to something stubborn.

Now if Paulette will get under the coach with you, maybe she could do the wrenching while you hold her from sliding.

Jon, since I don't have a coach at this time, what would be the minimum length I could get by with based on the parameters you mentioned? I was planning to just turn the bus around when I need to get to the other end.

I'll tell Paulette about your alternate plan if I decide against the pit.
    Last edited by dale farley; 11-18-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    Dale & Paulette