Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chassis weight

Gary, you would be amazed at how many folks will go under a bus that has been raised on its air bags. When I am under mine IN THE PIT I still put the jacks (jack down, adjusting screw fully extended) under the support point. At least that way I have a total mechanical support that cannot possibly have a hydraulic failure.

When I work on the suspension, or any part of the air system, I have two jacks under the support point, as we did when Roger and I changed air bags on our buses.

I have had my bus raised up by the Detroit/Allison dealer and like Prevost they used the four floor lifts that go under the tires with a pair of forks. Unlike Prevost the forks under the drive axle went under a single tire instead of the pair of tires. I would be scared to death that the tire would blow and the sudden shift would bring the whole thing down but they were totally unconcerned. The only thing I did although it probably didn't make a bit of difference was to dump the air from the air bags so the drive axle air bags were not totally collapsed with full air pressure like the tires were.

Okay Dale, how long are the pipes?

dalej Guest

My back two pipe stands are 14 inches and the front two are 12 inches long

I used 3 and 1/2 inch dia. and 1/4 inch wall thickness.

Dale,

Where exactly would you place the 4 tubes? I hope you don't mind, but I'm borrowing your signature style. I like the info you put in yours, and am trying it out.

Ray

If there is enough interest, and we can get a set of dimensions that would be universal I can see if the factory can produce them and ship them here for pick up at the Sevierville rally.

Once I have the quantity and size info I'll get prices. They will be made of 4 X 4 X 3/16 thick steel, and I would add a larger base plate to distribut the load with gussets to the corners to add stability.

A set could have one height for the fronts and another for the rears, unless we can come up with an adjustable screw substantial enough for the weight.

Can we have an expression of interest?

dalej Guest

Supports.....

ps..you can put the front ones behind the tires, there is a mud flap to to hinder placement, but not bad. You can weld a two foot handle to the pipe, so you don't have to reach under so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dalej; 11-16-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Jon,

I would be interested in a set, however I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to make Seiverville, but maybe we could have a separate shipment for the west coast rally?

I am planning on Pahrump but these will not be lightweights. Let's get the total count on sets of stands and see if it is possible to carry the ones for the west coast.

Dale, you have better photo skills than I do and I would suggest you take series of photos and add an article to the POG site.

The placement is shown in the Prevost owner's manual, but a picture is infinitely more valuable.

The key to placement of supports is to be under a vertical member of the axle subframes. Supporting the coach under any other point can be very dangerous. Also, if the axles with the emergency brakes are to be off the ground the bus has nothing to stop it from rolling, so it is important to either be completely level on the floor or to chock the front axle.

Dale, Are your supports tall enough for you to get under the coach on a creeper with a greasegun?