Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vantare/Featherlite Scuttlebutt

Jon,

This reminds me of my stay at Beaudry's in Tucson. I booked a space there for a couple of days and they ask me what kind of coach I have. Then a couple of days later, a really nice lady calls to confirm my reservation and mentions that they are a Prevost conversion dealer and would I be interested in viewing their coaches while we were there.

I said, "Sure" as I was as curious to see the new coaches as I was to hear the sales pitch.

And of course, they call me the day before we are due to arrive to make sure we will be there and ask me when I would like them to come by in the golf cart and pick me up.

The guy shows up in the cart at the appointed time, picks Rae and me up and heads for the showroom.

He then asks, "Well what kind of RV are you interested in?"

I say, "Well you just picked us up in front of our Prevost, so I don't think we are interested in trading down and your people called me about looking at your Prevost inventory, so why don't we do that."

He hems and haws then pulls in in front of the showroom and heads inside. We cool our jets.

After about 5 minutes (it's only 110 outside), he saunders out of the place with his long face on and announces, "Well, you know it is Sunday and they don't let us have the keys to the Prevosts, so they are locked up and we can't get to them and can't get anyone down here to unlock them for us."

Now this guy told me he was a former CEO of some company and had retired to Tucson and in looking for something to kill the boredom, took up RV sales as a hobby and had been the top salesman at Beaudry's this last year.

Now, I don't think this guy knew crap from fat bacon about a Prevost and I figure a trip to Camping World to buy one will produce a story not too many versions removed from the one I just told.

This will end up as a booger CW won't be able to fling off their finger.....

Jerry. Juxtaposed from your story is the visit the California POG group had while parked at Beaudry in Tucson for the night on the way to (POG III) Keerville. A white table cloth Filet mignon & Salmon dinner accompanied by a selection of wines, followed by a Chocolate desert . Preceeded by a tour of 4 new Prevost XLII Country Coaches (2006,2007) and a new Prevost XLII shell. The finale was the offer to let one of those babies go for 900k.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I would be interested in hearing what the Vantare/Featherlite customers are thinking and saying about this. This new arrangement for sales and service is being spun as a great thing, but as a customer another entire level has been inserted between the buyer and the manufacturer. It is difficult to communicate, so when you insert someone in between the customer and the manufacturer how do you address design issues, quality issues, customer response, feedback, and especially how do you protect customer loyalty?

If you ever want to see how easy it is for a sales agent to misrepresent a product review the ads for Prevost Coaches on sites such as RV online or RV trader. I have seen Prevost Conversions listed there with Spartan chassis and I have seen them listed with Cat engines. I am certain the salesmen are equally ill informed about the rest of the coach.

It is a rare Prevost Conversion buyer that has no knowledge of RVs. So at the very least the new sellers of these coaches need to learn them and not just expect to BS their way to a sale. And how are they going to handle trades, repairs, and issues relating to the chassis. I know that if I buy a new coach there is a dividing line between the chassis and the house, but I also know that the converter has the clout with Prevost and acts as my agent in being sure I am satisfied. Are these various sales locations going to get the Prevost training and also be able to interface with Prevost to satisfy the customer?

In every business I was in the momentum of the business was created by customer loyalty. The repeat business and the long term relationships drove the business. We worked very hard to maintain that loyalty and we never used sales agents to talk to long term customers. We spoke directly to the customer and put a lot of effort into the relationship, because if we lost that customer the work required to get a new customer was overwhelming. I think this is a dumb move for both companies and they can spin it any way they want.

Look how many Legendary Coaches are still listed for sale, and how long they have been shading the blacktop at dealers. I think the buyers of conversions take all this into consideration and then vote with their feet.

Jon, I think your comments hit the mark. I am also interested in hearing the comments from current Vantare owners, who stand to gain or lose the most with this deal.

I would also like to hear comments from someone considering the purchase of a Vantare and how this is being factored into their decision.

Here's another article from RV Business today about the joint venture of Vantare/Freedom Roads.

FreedomRoads Aligns with Featherlite Coaches
    RV Business
    Friday, November 30, 2007

FreedomRoads/Camping World recently announced a partnership with Featherlite Luxury Coaches Inc., designating the national dealer network as the conversion bus builder’s exclusive sales and service outlet.

According to a press release, the parties expect sales and service operations to begin at certain FreedomRoads/Camping World sales and service centers in mid-December. Featherlite’s line includes the Vantare H3-45 and Vantare XLII, both Prevost bus shell conversions, which were previously marketed and sold through factory direct outlets.

Featherlite Luxury Coaches was formed in October of 2006 following the merger of Cresco, Iowa-based specialty trailer builder Featherlite Inc. with Universal Trailer Holdings Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio. Former Featherlite Inc. President and CEO Conrad Clement remained in control of the luxury coach division and runs the operation with his son, Tracy.

"We are very excited to announce this new relationship with FreedomRoads/Camping World because it gives current and prospective customers of Featherlite Coaches' luxury motor coaches access to sales and service centers throughout the United States," said Clement, CEO of Sanford, Fla.-based Featherlite Luxury Coaches.

Clement said his company is sending sales and service personnel to selected FreedomRoads/Camping World locations. Initially, stores in San Diego, Calif., Statesville, N.C., Mesa, Ariz., Indianapolis, Stewartville, Minn. And Sanford will stock the product. In the later part of 2008 and beyond, it is anticipated that Featherlite Coaches' sales and service will be available through outlets in Las Vegas, Chicago, Portland, Ore., Denver, Colo., and Salt Lake City.

"This exclusive sales and marketing relationship with Featherlite Coaches presents a great opportunity for FreedomRoads/Camping World, as we now offer our customers access to recreational vehicles at every price point in the market," said Marcus Lemonis, chairman and CEO of FreedomRoads and Camping World. "We are excited to have this opportunity to sell luxury motor coaches manufactured by the undisputed market leader in the premium luxury motor coach segment.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Whos next?

The question you asked Joe is a significant one.

There is a ripple effect and when a product is devalued as legendary has done and which has supposedly happened with some recent Vantare sales, and before that some American 40 foot convesrions it slops all over all the products in the market.

If anybody is on the edge right now, its going to get tougher.

Default Value

I agree with Jon, I saw a couple of very nice 2006 XLII with two slides and excellent equipment that were sold by Legendary at the $650,000 level.

Every time I look at a new coach I think about the Legendary price and work from there. That and how happy we are with our Royale will make it hard to trade. Dee told me if I sell the Royale for a 45' coach I better get use to a 22.5' bus. She said that half of everything would be missing.

I wonder what she meant?

If you look back at the last 30 years in the RV buisness & the Bus Conversion buisness you will notice there are not many of the same companies around as in 1977. If there is anything to be understood about this industry is that it is a natural progression for these companies to change , consolidate, morph, & evaporate.
    The other side of the coin is to look to the new & progressive buisnesses who are introducing new and innovative products.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The premium for the purchase price on a Liberty and Marathon, new or used, for a buyer that considers long term converter support important, continues to become more and more justified as time goes on. Their market share has also just been improved, again.

I believe that the lions share of potential buyers would fit this description.

The asking price for a new or used bus by any other make should not compare and with good reason.

Not to say that all the other buses out there are bad choices. Quite the contrary. For mechanicly minded folks, who tend to keep things a while, and do not view the issue important it offers tons of value when looking there.

I think if potential buyers of any bus that is not Liberty or Marathon make sure that the purchase price reflects this fact they can be confident of a good decision.

That and the quality of components and construction combined with a decent level of owner mechanical ability, or support from POG, makes a great combination too.

Are there any other converters out there who could jusifiaby be compared, or is it just, THE BIG TWO?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 12-01-2007 at 03:15 AM.