Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inverter Problem.....I think ??

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    A long time ago and far, far away, we plugged into a box that some genius had wired improperly. It 'blew' the inverter and some other stuff.
    This has been covered in another thread, but with so many new owners and coaches coming to POG, I thought I would bring this item up again as something Very Worthwhile to have on board your bus, and to use religiously.

http://www.got50amps.com/

Gary S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    FWIW I believe that some inverters can be easily repaired. My Heart Interface Freedom 2500 inverters (identical to Blacklab's) have a couple of boards and a fan, all of which are replaceable.

If you have a "failed" inverter it might be worth talking to the folks that built it to see if boards are slide in type and thus can be replaced by someone with no particular knowledge of an inverter.

I do know from installing by-pass switches in my coach that inverters need cooling, and one of the things I am going to very much aware of in the future is the cooling fan operation with the hopes that if my fan fails to function, I will notice that and get the fan replaced before it costs me repairs to my inverter. On my coach the converter provided a secondary pair of fans powered by the inverter output to insure constant airflow through the inverter so it is critical and likely extends the life of the inverter.
    Jon, I have noticed one of my Heart Interface Freedom 2500 Inverters never has the fan running. I questioned several people and got the same response. Something like " that's because one is primary and the other is secondary" I always felt uncomfortable with that answer. Who can I call to order a fan motor for this unit so I will have it when I take it apart ? I realize it could be something other than the motor but I also like spare parts !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,

Here is an easy way to see if the inverter fan is working.

Turn on a lot of DC lights in the coach, turn off the inverter you know has a working fan, and listen at the inverters.

With one inverter off, the second one will sense the need to send a charge to the batteries, and once it starts charging the fan should soon come on.

The fans do not come on instantly, nor do they remain on while the inverter is working. They tend to cycle as temperatures rise they come on and go off when it falls to some lower level.

My inverters act exactly as you describe, and I do not yet understand why one seems dominant.

Gary,

I tried the site you gave and they are back ordered and don't even luist a price. I checked around and here is an alternative for those that are interested. This also offers surge protection.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-analyzer.htm

Default Fan Motor

Jon, What a great common sense diagnostic approach ! I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of it. Thanks for your help.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Gary,

I tried the site you gave and they are back ordered and don't even luist a price. I checked around and here is an alternative for those that are interested. This also offers surge protection.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-analyzer.htm

Jon, they do indicate back order, but under "about" they show a price of $179.95 with a introductory price of list minus $60.00 for a buy it now price of $119.95

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

When we had our 24 volt Heart repaired we were told that it operates so efficiently that usually the only time the fans will run is when it is in battery charge mode and then only sometimes.

I specifically told him that I had never heard the fans and was told that checking them was a standard part of his bench test of our circut board and they were o/k.

They are completely repairable. I dismantled ours to get the circuit board out, sent it off for repair and reinstalled it. That along with a bad auto switch and we are back in business.

For the few out there with older buses this is a 25 year old inverter I'm talking about. I was also told that not unlike many things the older ones are conservatively rated and better built. Ours is a 2000 and was told that it is capable of handling a start up surge of 5000.

Ours is located in the second bay, starboard side and it has a doubled up battery cable to it. I'm assuming that is to compensate for the voltage drop being 15ft or so from the batteries.

Once again for those who missed it, when Heart was bought out, by whoever I forget, they sold all their parts and refer all repairs to:

Dave Gustdorf at Gustdorf Electronics, Santa Fe, NM

He also told me that he has had one on, under his bench, nonstop for something like 5 years now

blacklab Guest

I googled(?) Gustdorf Elelectronics and found this info:

Gusdorf Electronics
    649 Camino De La Luz
    Santa Fe, NM 87501
    1-505-983-4095
    davegusdorf@msn.com

I'm gonna copy his contact info in my manual for future reference.

It is temperature related Joe. And you are right that it has to be charging the battery which is why I asked Jim to turn on a lot of DC lights to load the current draw. When the inverters are not charging the battery, such as when in float, they really aren't doing much.

Mine comes on with about a 25 amp DC current draw after a little while, but they do cycle on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I googled(?) Gustdorf Elelectronics and found this info:

Gusdorf Electronics
    649 Camino De La Luz
    Santa Fe, NM 87501
    1-505-983-4095
    davegusdorf@msn.com

I'm gonna copy his contact info in my manual for future reference.
    When trying to line up a potential source for Heart Interface Freedom 2500 Inverters I find no reference to this product on their website and no one answers the 1 505 983 4095. May not be a good contact.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty