Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Around NYC

Default Around NYC

Having driven the bus across the George Washington Bridge and up I-95 to Boston once (and that was enough), I am looking for input to an alternative route to New England from Houston. I have the route down to the PA /NJ area, but am looking for help from there. I have been looking at I-81 to Scranton then I-84 to I-90 toward Boston. Has anyone driven this route in the bus? Is there a better way to avoid NYC?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Loc,
    Just did that route in the reverse mid August and it was great!
    Kevin

Please share the details of a route. Don't PM them! Others of us will learn from this too.

ray

That is a good route you picked. We have driven all the routes in that area including the GW bridge and that's likely the best choice.

wrongagain Guest

I-90 "the pike" is a good route, nice wide road, rolling hills, etc.
    but to truly enjoy the boston experience you have to drive 128 aka I-95 at rush hour.
    there is nothing like the thrill of trying to exit the road as you are being past in the beakdown lane.

lewpopp Guest

continue on 81 north to 90 up near Albany. Then to the Mass Pike to Boston. Stop off at Cooperstown on the way. Have done that direction a hundred times. Perhaps an alternative to Jon's suggestion.

New Jersey Turnpike to 287 north to NY thruway north to 84. Not a bad ride only downside is the Turnpike tolls.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

I assume the NY thruway is not the NY parkway? I have been told by several that buses are not allowed on NY parkway. There seemed to be question as to whether or not the NJ parkway was also closed to buses. I've heard both sides.

My little bit of driving in the NY area I will admit has me confused most of the time! I assume though, when I see "passenger cars only", that means I cannot take the bus there.

Ray

In NJ, the Garden State Parkway is off limits for trucks but OK for motorhomes. Watch the overpasses, as they are arched and the lane nearest the shoulder looks kinda scary at times......

I remember driving north on the Parkway when my wife asked if I had seen the "NO TRUCKS" sign, which of course I hadn't.

Then I'm trying to figure out "why???" Is it simply to cut out the truck traffic or is there some weight-limit-low-clearance-lane-width issue that I'm about to find out about....yikes!!??

Anyway, no physical problems. And, I found out later that motorhomes were "OK".

Now, as for the traffic.......

So, that brings up a question that has bugged me for a long time. The question is "how do you know these things?" If I'm planning a cross-country trip how am I supposed to know that things like Parkways in NJ are OK for RV's, but not in NY?

In general it's been suggested that we follow the instructions in the Motor Carriers Atlas, but in that case, trucks are NOT allowed on either NY or NJ parkways.

So, how do you know about these cases which aren't clear? In general, how would I plan for a cross country trip, not knowing the "gotchas" in other states?

There doesn't seem to be a RV or bus document (book whatever), which lists things like closed roads, rules for RV's etc.

I'm just thinking that awhile back there was a posting about speed limits somewhere (Ohio??), and instructions about keeping speed under 55. This kind of stuff is invaluable, but hard to find, other than by tripping on it here in the forum.

Ray