Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updating TV setup

Ben Guest

Hey Jeff,

I recognize that bus! I went for a ride in it with you back when I was first looking into busses (somewhere in Florida). You almost drove me to the airport, but you got way too low on fuel and I had a grab a cab instead. That plasma felt huge since it was so close to the bed.

I was working with Bob Dingle at the time (I can't remember if you introduced me, or if he introduced me to you).

Jeff Bayley Guest

Ben-

Absolutly correct sir! I remembered you also as the Photo Shop expert. I was waiting to see if you remembered. You owe me a Photo Shop lesson! Good thing you didn't buy my 94 quite frankly. The motor blew up on me out of the blue for no apparent reason what so ever. It is sitting in GA. and I've been trying to network here to find out where to get an engine at a fair shake. I saw the pictures of some of your travels. Right on! I'm in So. Cal. dude. I'm in Malibu. I think your roving in N. Cal right ?

Jeff

Ben Guest

I'm in Crescent City, CA right now (North West corner of California) and am heading towards Portland, OR.

How long do you plan to stay in CA? I should be headed your way in about a month.... then I'll be sneaking over to Florida.

I didn't recognize you from your big hat photo (though you were a texan), but I knew who you were the second I saw a shot of your 94. Hope all is well, and good to see you on POG.

I'd love to know more about the subwoofer setup you ended up with in your other coach... my built-in audio is really lacking bass. I mainly use an Altec Lansing setup that's hooked to my computer instead of the built-in for that reason.

P.S.: What's the story on your foontoon name?

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Sound system

Ben-

Let's stay in touch if one or the other moves North or South and maybe we can spend some time together. I'll probably be on the West Coast for a month or longer.

Regarding the sub woofer, I think you mean to ask what I did on the coach I'm in since you know how my other coach was set up with a dedicated amp for the sub. I put some details about this in another posting somewhere in the last week. This coach I'm in now had a separate amp in the front bay pushing a couple of speakers down there and I also think that amp is pushing the speakers on top (in the salon). I drilled a hole through the floor board into that bay holding the amp and ran one pair of extra speaker wires to that amp and then I attached a [non-self-amplified] subwoofer [that I found somewhere] to the other end of the wires. It gives the sound a little "hamburger helper" with the base and I consider it a temp improvement until I'm willing to devote the time to redoing it better.

Find out the specs on the head unit you have in the dash and see if that head unit has separate outputs for a sub woofer or not. If it does, you can get behind there and use those outputs and install a mono amp to drive a 10' or 8' sub depending on where you can squeeze the sub in. The amount of room behind the dash area seems to vary widely but you probably have to mount the amp elsewhere or (if you have room) the self amplified amp (like the one you posted) is an excellent all in one solution which reduces the number of components needed. Wheel into a capable stereo shop and they should have various size boxes you can trial fit behind either of the two front seats. Driver’s seat would be preferred so you can more easily get the wiring around to it without figuring out how to cross over to the passenger seat. If your head unit doesn't have the preferred outputs, then you could try either a 110 or a 12v self amplified sub and just tap off of any of the existing speaker wires as they make their way through the coach to the speakers. In this case you would want to have a cross over to filter the range going to the sub and try to clean it up a bit (cheater method) in an effort to have the low range only going to the sub. The advantage in trying to salvage the existing head unit would be to maintain use of the existing CD changer that is more than likely part of the coach now. If you don't care about loosing this component, you could just change out the head unit to one of your choice and I imagine that they probabley sell them blue tooth enabled to get some of the funky features you listed in your wish list design on a prior posting.

One final comment on the stereo shops. Bring them on board and show them what you've got to work with. You have to find the right guy that can throw himself "into it" and likes the challenge and I would also say that you have to find someone that won't take you to the cleaners with the estimate. They look at the bus and they big $$$ signs instantly start swirling around in their eyeballs and they throw ridiculous estimates at you thinking your Mr. Money Bags. I just picked up a copy of Challenge Magazine which is put out by Pilot Truck Stops. In this October issue, they profile the Chrome Shop Mafia that does the Trick My Truck series on CMT which I have enjoyed watching. Well, they profile each member of the team and the guy that does the audio and video is Rob and they list his web site as www.robsaudio.com which I have not checked out. He lives in Joplin MO which is where I THINK they film the show. I can imagine that these guys probably get a lot of paying jobs from the show. If you want something really trick that will freak out your colleagues or customers and you feel that the A/V is an investment in how your perceived for your industry, then I would let this guy "trick" you out or consider contacting him for an estimate or see if you can pit stop there on your way back to Florida and see if he can block some time out in anticipation of doing the work on the spot or shortly after your stop. Maybe with the changes that are taking place in his business model (with the extra P/R he get's from being on TV) you can work out a barter trade of some sort doing graphics or web development, etc, etc for your core competency. If it works, please try to work me in for a "friends and family" rate on my bus too and I can pay for mine to get "tricked". Eh ?

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 10-31-2006 at 06:40 PM.