Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel balancers

Default Wheel balancers

Hi all,

Anybody use wheel balancers on their rigs? Curious to know about Balance Masters, or Centramatic, or ?? Do you like them, do they work, would you recommend them, etc.

Also, how about tire pressure monitors for the toad. There are several of these on the market. What do you like and dislike??

Appreciate all replies,

Ken

I used stick on wheel weights originally on the 87 coach. The results were that over time the tires went out of balance and had to be rebalanced. Any out of balance, especially on the tag or steers messes up the wear pattern.

When I replaced that set of tires I was talked into using Equal. It costs about $10 per tire and the tires are always in balance when Equal is in them. That set of tires went 134,000 miles and zero unusual wear on any tire. I did rotate the tires twice.

I have Equal now. I know of at least two coaches that use Centramatics or their equivalent and I think the concept is the same. The problem I have with them is that on one set they had almost cut through the tire valve stem, a condition that could be eliminated by cutting the tire stem slot larger. But I cannot get past the economics of Centramatics. At the current cost you need to change a lot of tires and add a lot of Equal to come up to what you end up paying for them.

Is there a concern with Equal and some of these stem mounted air pressure sensor systems?

There has been concern about Equal and all tire valve stems, but they supply valves with filters on the end to eleminate problems. I have had to replace Schrader valves over the years but I don't consider the number of valves replaced to be abnormal.

I doubt if Equal has any effect on the sensors, especially if someone has a dual valve stem set up like Joe.

Jon,

Do you run any pressure monitors on the Hummer??

KZ

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ken we run them on our bus and toad.

www.doranmfg.com

We also have those wheel balancers but I'm not sure what they are called they were on the bus when we bought it. When you first get rolling there is a very slight wobble for a short period of time till all the lead gets to where it wants to be then its pure Ecstasy.

I have used equal in the truck though and got away from it due to too frequent flats, from job sites, the rapid replacement rate of tires on it and little to no balance issues.

On the bus equal would work just as good as anything. My tire guys have devised a fine screen to sift the stuff for their customers so it can be reused too.

If I didn't have those balance rings, that IMO are simpler and more convenient and much more money too, that is what I'd be using.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Ken,

No monitors on the Hummer.

Default Centramatic

I wish I had the Centramatic's. I had them on my old coach and highly recommended them. When I replaced my tires the dealer was having a Grand Opening and I got the Equal for free as part of a dealer allowance the store received.

Equal works fine as a balancer but I hate the filters. My filters have leaked and I finally replaced them with heavy duty valve caps. I now must be sure the valves are sealed ever time I check air pressure as the little Equal particles hang up the valves. Centramatic's cost more but I am will to invest.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A trick with the equal when checking pressures is, even with the valve stem filters and definitely without them, to keep the valve from seeping after you have checked them put a short quick blast of air into the tire to clear the product from the valve seat.

dalej Guest

Great tip Joe!