Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Oskosh ?

Trukman was gracious enough to let me fly right seat, so I could do some HD video, while he spent the flight in the back seat telling Abbey his life story.

abbey_9588.jpg

It's hard to tell from these wide angle shots (images are closer than they appear) but we were extremely close to the lead plane. For almost one hour in the air JDUB never took his eyes off that plane for a split second until we were about 20' above the runway and the lead plane had landed. He worked like a sled dog the entire trip maintaining formation. I was exhausted by the end of the trip and I only took photos.

air1_9570.jpg

air2_9586.jpg

The crew after a successful flight. All 93 planes landed 3 abreast (2 on the main runway and one on the parallel taxiway) in 15 minutes.

crew_9590.jpg

Default Airventure

AirVentLogo.jpg

entrance_0043.jpg

There are dozens of reasons to visit Oshkosh, one of the main ones is the daily airshow. Top aerobatic pilots from around the country make they way to Oshkosh to perform for the masses. And they all donate their time for free for the EAA.

duggy_9748.jpg

The show opens on Monday with Duggy the DC3 dropping paratroopers flying the flag and the singing of the National Anthem.

flag1_9737.jpg

flag3_9743.jpg
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Default Airshow Photos

Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Default Dream Lifter

Thanks to the lobbying efforts of EAA president Tom Poberezny, Boeing's Dream Lifter made an appearance at EAA.

From Boeing's website:

"The Boeing Dreamlifter is a modified 747-400 passenger airplane that can haul more cargo by volume than any airplane in the world. It is the primary means of transporting major assemblies of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner from suppliers around the world to the 787 final assembly site in Everett, Wash. This reduces delivery times to as little as one day from as many as 30 days today."

dream1_9852.jpg

dream2_9857.jpg

dream3_9867.jpg

dream_9994.jpg

dream_9979.jpg

You really have to stand next to it to appreciate it's size.
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Great photos, going to absolutely go to Oshkosh next year. Did you happen to catch John Mohr performing in his Stearman?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Thanks for the great pix Mike! It's been several years since I've been to Oshkosh and your posts brought back lots of good memories.

Sure sounds like everyone had a blast!

dalej Guest

Mike, Great photo journalism!

Default Feed Back

When you're camping with JDUB and Trukman, you know you're going to be eatin' good.

Sunday morning we invited over a few folks to join us for Omelettes made to order. Included bacon, sausage, muffins and hash browns all care of Trukman and Nancy.

breakfast_9636.jpg

breakfast_9638.jpg

Monday night after the Foreigner Concert...

foreigner_9879.jpg

foreigner_9889.jpg

We were invited over to Camp Parliament by Ken Robertson, Rick May and his son Josh for another great meal.

ken_9939.jpg

Default Sour Grapes

It seems all pilots of low wing planes have this need for ego support. JDUB is no different.......

"First off, I know Jon will be in denial since the newest singles to grace the Cessna line are both LOW WING airplanes. Seems even the neanderthals at Cessna have finally come around to placing the wing in the right place."

There are two things he fails to mention. First, if low wing planes are the way planes are supposed to be designed he needs to have a discussion with God who seemed to create all flying things with high wings. I'm pretty sure a Robin would not fly if its wings came out of its belly.

Secondly, he chooses to ignore the practical aspects of a high wing plane, some of which we can excuse because he obviously avoids flying when it is raining. Anybody that has had to load himself and passengers in a plan on a rainy day knows how nice it is to stand under the wing of a high wing plane, and slowly and casually step in and find a seat. Low wing plane passengers have to climb onto a slippery wing, and for every minute it takes them to get in, their seat is collecting water. Two minutes after closing the door the RH front seat passenger feels like he peed in his pants.

But that is the pilot's way of getting even. While the passengers were waiting in the terminal out of the rain the low wing pilot was crawling around on the ground drawing fuel samples from under the wings. The high wing pilot was standing up, protected from the rain drawing his fuel samples from under the wing.

Low wing passengers get to see sheet metal and rivets along the way, high wing passengers get a wonderful view of the ground.

Low wing planes don't fly. They are so ugly the earth repels them.

Default More Grub

Tuesday night, our final night, we had a hoe down (I have no idea what a Texas hoe down is, but out East it probably involves ladies of the night).

JDUB brought brisket and some great sausage from the Luling City Market in Houston.

brisket_0044.jpg

I brought Bubba Mike's pulled pork and some baby back ribs.

Dakota cooked some bbq chicken.

chicken_0047.jpg

Nancy and Trukman took care of salad and side dishes.

buffetline_0049.jpg

The Fast Roger Bling Cooker was at full tilt.

bling_9621.jpg

a2jdub_0052.jpg
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.