Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oskosh ?

Hybrid View

lewpopp Guest

Default Oskosh ?

Does anyone know the dates of the next summer games there?

Lew,

I don't know the exact dates, but it is usually in the 3rd week of July.

Are you taking flying lessons?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

dalej Guest

http://www.airventure.org/2007/about/index.html

July28th-Aug.3rd is what its looking like.

I am going to head up to Oshkosh this year....any good suggestions on where I can park/camp for a few days from those of you who have done it before?

Here's the second best place to stay at Osh. Dry camping only, but water is available. Nice grassy area that backs up to the EAA museum. Park by the brown spot on the grass where Tuga dumped his grey tank.

Mapquest with the satellite view his address to get an idea of the layout.

Marland Felker and pat
    920 231-7264
    1864 W. Waukau Ave.
    oshkosh, wi 54902
    patf2@netzero.net

The best place, where a number of us stayed a few years ago, is no longer available for motorhome camping. Which is a shame as it was adjacent to the area where all the Fork Tailed Dr. killers park and the primo showers.

Mike

Default aerial view

oshpark_5091.jpg

shuttle to main attractions stop right at the EAA museum. You can see their parking lot on the right.

mm

Default An Oshkosh Pix-torial

What a great trip this year. We had such a good family time last year even the Mangoettes wanted to return. They thought all the POG guys were "fun".

Again this year we stayed right on site at the home of Marland and Pat Feltzer. Their home is located adjacent to the EAA museum, so it's close, private and priced right.

This aerial shot is from last year. You can the TugaMobile and Trukmans Plastic Fantastic down there.

OSHFelker_5091.jpg

Sitting around the busses the first night. The weather this year, unlike the hot baths in years past, was perfect with 60 degree nights and low humidity.

xmasltsbus_9497.jpg

Of course the glow was from OSU xmas inspired lighting.

Camp POG

camppog_9693.jpg
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Default B2Osh

Up early on Saturday, the Trukman, JDUB, Abbey and I make the 2.5 hour drive down to Rockford, Il so that we can then fly back to OSH. Sounds like a typical POG thing to do.

Worth the trip, as 93 Bonanzas are lined up and ready to fly back to OSH in elements of 3. We're in element 21 so they're are 63 V tails ahead of us.

Orientation lasted an hour. Here JDUB is being querried by Trukman to see if there's a rest stop along the route.

briefing_9544.jpg

The questions got pretty intense at this point.

screenshot_9545.jpg

Apron area courtesy of UPS.

rockford1_9530.jpg

rockford2_9531.jpg

Lined up and ready for flight. Each element took off every 15 seconds. All 93 planes were in the air in 8 minutes.

runway_9551.jpg

Trukman was gracious enough to let me fly right seat, so I could do some HD video, while he spent the flight in the back seat telling Abbey his life story.

abbey_9588.jpg

It's hard to tell from these wide angle shots (images are closer than they appear) but we were extremely close to the lead plane. For almost one hour in the air JDUB never took his eyes off that plane for a split second until we were about 20' above the runway and the lead plane had landed. He worked like a sled dog the entire trip maintaining formation. I was exhausted by the end of the trip and I only took photos.

air1_9570.jpg

air2_9586.jpg

The crew after a successful flight. All 93 planes landed 3 abreast (2 on the main runway and one on the parallel taxiway) in 15 minutes.

crew_9590.jpg

Default Airventure

AirVentLogo.jpg

entrance_0043.jpg

There are dozens of reasons to visit Oshkosh, one of the main ones is the daily airshow. Top aerobatic pilots from around the country make they way to Oshkosh to perform for the masses. And they all donate their time for free for the EAA.

duggy_9748.jpg

The show opens on Monday with Duggy the DC3 dropping paratroopers flying the flag and the singing of the National Anthem.

flag1_9737.jpg

flag3_9743.jpg
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.