Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic Engine Failure

Jon Boy,

I wasn't referring to the blown engine, I was making a point about Ed buying from Marathon and then having to have all the things corrected that he listed. That was a long list of items, many of which should have been taken care of during the alleged PDI they provide.

I understand. You are correct. That is an impressive list and most of it is so obvious it make one wonder why it was not corrected prior to delivery.

It sounds like the quality control attitude in Detroit. Let the buyer perform the task. If he finds it and complains then we will fix it.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ignorance is bliss.

I think just the fact that they are willing to do all those things, free of charge regardless when, on a 17 yr old vehicle speaks volumes.

wrongagain Guest

and let's not forget
    air dryer, and back up alarm.
    the story was the house side of marathon did it, not the service side, and hence my situation, the house guys build stuff they dont know service.
    that was marathon hq in oregon.
    they have been more than accommodating, but still.
    now the front loses air overnight like it never did before new air bags so back to the shop on tuesday to resolve that.

Is there a set of serial numbers for the early Series 60's that may have the faulty wrist pins and pistons, that a purchaser can look out for and try to avoid?

Sorry to hear of the engine failure on his Marathon. Having been around automotive and trucks most of my life one can make a strong case that there is no crystal ball as to when something mechanical will decide for what ever reason.... fail. How could you prevent a bolt or nut inside a engine from breaking loose.

I'm with Tom on...how come... the buyer takes delivery then goes back to Marathon with a laundry list of fix me now ?

I had the pleasure of the purchase with the Marathon sales team and can honestly say it was the best purchase experience I've had. The customer was the most important part of the purchase in making us happy that everything was taken care of prior leaving Marathon.

Having never owned a Prevost before my purchase with Marathon had exceeded expectations before leaving the factory.

Hi Jennifer,

I think the problem appeared in the mid 1990's. You may wish to pose the question to the folks over on dieselEngineTrader.com. There's some long time Detroit Diesel mechanics over there who really know their stuff and the history of the Series 60. Good luck!

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/di...es.cfm?catid=9

David is corect with respect to the vintage. The problem was related to all Detroit Engines in the mid nineties which was around the time Prevost was beginning to install the Series 60 in their coaches.

The good news is that if an engine of that vintage reached about 250,000 miles the chances are very high it will not have a problem.

I'm driving one from around that time and in about 10,000 miles I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Thanks David and Jon both for your replies.
    We are also looking at an 1995 (titled) Royale, (with an early series 60) with 140 k miles, but the thought of having this type of failure occur has me concerned. Should it?

Best of luck Jon and happy traveling your next 10k!