Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fast Idle?

This is an old thread but I have an issue on topic so maybe someone can help. 2000 H3 today when I stopped and turned on the fast idle switch, no change to the idle. When I got to the end of my trip I tried again and the high idle was not coming on. I have not done any trouble shooting yet as I am trying to get some suggestions on what it might be. Thanks for any help

The emergency brake signal may not be getting to the fast idle circuit.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 10-23-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

So Gil is that something I need to have a shop look at or a simple fix that someone without a lot of mechanical know how can do?

I'm currently traveling. When I return I can look at the electrical drawings to see if there's any simply maintenance action if you'd like. Ultimately, it may need to go to a shop for repair.

Gil and Durlene

Thanks Safe travels

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Make sure you have it in neutral, with the emergency brake pulled up. I know that sounds elementary, but it has happened to me before.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Make sure you have it in neutral, with the emergency brake pulled up. I know that sounds elementary, but it has happened to me before.
    I have stopped before and pulled the parking brake and the fast idle has kicked on. When I looked down at the switch it was left in the ON position. When the parking brake is turned off , the engine cuts down to low idle. There has to be a signal sent from the parking brake to to the fast idle switch or relay somehow.
    Could someone give Us the short version of how this works please ?

Rocky,

As Pete said, the parking/emergency brake must be on and the transmission in neutral for fast idle to work. Depending on model and year, the parking brake also signals the brake lights.

I'm sitting on a plane or I would have already looked up the wiring diagram. BTW, I don't recommend spending the night at an airport. Sadly, there were no hotel rooms left. Travelling with our coach is so much better than what flying has become.

Gil and Durlene

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Rocky,

As Pete said, the parking/emergency brake must be on and the transmission in neutral for fast idle to work. Depending on model and year, the parking brake also signals the brake lights.

I'm sitting on a plane or I would have already looked up the wiring diagram. BTW, I don't recommend spending the night at an airport. Sadly, there were no hotel rooms left. Travelling with our coach is so much better than what flying has become.
    Gil,
    Yes Sir I understand how the switch and parking brake work with the high idle. I was just sharing how My experience of forgetting to turn off the paddle switch and dis-engaging the parking brake will bring it back down to low idle. A good safety feature IMO. I was wondering how it is all tied together I guess You would say. Like all Electric via a common relay, Or electric and air ? The DDEC is probbably in the mix too maybe ? Mine is working fine now. Just trying to understand the path of it all while the subject was at hand.
    Airports are the worst anymore.

So it is working now? I posted some wiring diagrams for you on Face Book....