Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fast Idle?

OK, listen up guys. I'm with Gore on this one......

If you don't need heat or AC why would you let your engine idle? Is it a macho trucker thing?

Dale....idling is not good because of the low temps and the sooting, but where did the minute come from? Did the advisor that told you that ever drive one of these in the real world, and if so has he never been stuck in slow moving traffic?

BTW, a parallel to this is the generator. If you are going to run your generator, load it up and make it work. They will work best under load and unless loaded they also will load up with soot. If you do not often get the chance to load it, on occasion run it with all ACs and the toe space or Webasto heaters on to pull as heavy a load as possible.

Mango

You are correct. At POG IV, someone (I believe the man from Prevost) said to always idle at fast RPM. When starting a cold engine let it slow idle for a few minutes to get the fluids flowing and then kick in fast idle. But always idle at fast idle.

Jon, I may be wrong, but I do believe my manual said go to fast idle after about a minute. The DD tech did say that the exception would be when sitting in traffic. I think this is more of a general guideline, so that the driver is aware that the 8V92 shouldn't be slow idled for extended periods of time.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Nothing better than an undertaker back you up.

Thanks Denny.

mm

Orren Zook Guest

You've also got to have enough air up to engage fast idle - 60 or so pounds, I think.

Mango

As I have said before, "I'll be the last to let you down."

This is great.

When I die, I might have to be buried in Ohio.

Will a bus conga line fit into the cemetery?
    mm

I was waiting for Denny to try to take credit for that.

He's a rare funeral director because in his case he is the last one to let you down because he actually handles the burial vaults. But as a former burial vault maker who used to provide them to funeral directors we were the last ones to let you down.

Any body else had any weird businesses (that they can talk about in mixed company)?

win42 Guest

To end the idle argument: Watch your oil pressure guage on your dash at slow idle and then at fast idle. That should tell you your engine is suffering at slow idle.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I'm with Jon, shut it off.

Harry you are correct about oil pressure at an idle but that preset mark of 1000 or even 900rpm on high idle is way more than necessary for the strait sixs. 100 rpm over idle gets the oil press to jump up, and fuel ain't gettin any cheaper either.

The high idle for us is used for warm-up and sometimes a quick stop to go to the bathroom with the OTR a/c runnin, otherwise I shut it off. We have the 8V but I exercise the same habits with my Truck, it's a strait six.