Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Idle?

In my 1996 Country Coach the switch is on the left side panel by the window.
    Here is the photo, switch is marked RPM.

dreamchasers Guest

Default Scratching Their Heads

The latest on the fast idle issue is Country Coach and Prevost are both scratching their heads. The service technician I spoke with today at Country Coach stated that the individual that could assist in this vintage coach was off work today, Friday, and would return Monday. He stated that Monday we should have the answer.

Concerning the picture from Alex&Lucia, my controls looks exactly like yours, except your lower button marked "RPM", is marked "Emergency Engine Override" on my coach. According to the previous owner, the button could be used to override any shutdowns from the DDEC to allow the coach to be moved to a safe location?!!

I will let all know the outcome Monday.

Thanks,

Hector
    www.dreamchasers.us

So, you do not have a RPM button in that grouping?

In remembering my CC it had 10 buttons, and the RPM button was
    opposite the engine override button, 4th down on the left.

Have you tried the cruise control technique?
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 11-02-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Based on the reported service level others have had with Country Coach did they specify which Monday?

My last conversation with CC about a minor issue was, "gee, we don't build many of those, we'll get back to you". Hmm, still waiting.. Thanks to Nick, we sorted it out.

dreamchasers Guest

Default Updated

The Fast Idle issue remains unsolved and is put on a back burner, at least for now. Country Coach states that the fast idle is activiated by depressing the set (cruise control) button while the coach is stopped and in neutral. This programing to allow the Allison cruise control system to reconize this feature is done at the Country Coach facility. According to Country Coach, if the Allison CPU was disconnected (for body welding or any other reasons) and restarted to its default program, this program change would have been lost.

The resolution is to communicate with the Country Coach's software programming team, then go to an Allison dealer and have this change done.

I think I will wait until I am in Country Coach territory and have them fix this.

Seems so simple, but so complicated.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Hector

I don't think that the fast idle is a critical issue on a coach that does not have OTR air.

When an OTR air equipped coach is idling, the alternator does not seem to put out enough juice to keep the batteries charged due to the load from the AC system motors. Since there is likely no OTR on your coach there is really no need to let it idle such as in a rest area and even if you did you probably will not discharge your batteries

Fast idle may be important if you are ever required to run the bus engine to stay warm because at low idle the engine may not develop enough heat to warm the coach, such as if a Webasto should fail. Just carry a concrete block to sit on the accelerator pedal.

Hector,

The bunch as CC has plastic on the brain. I had an 02 and an 04 CC plastic and the fast idle worked via the cruise as you stated. I don't think any of the Prevosts are set up that way, but it seems strange you are missing the button that I believe is a Prevost item.

As I recall from one of the seminars at POG IV you always need to use fast idle when idling to (I believe) keep the engine running hotter, not for the Webasto but to burn off excessive fuel in the cylinders.

Mike

I don't know about the Series 60, but DD told me to never idle the 8V92 for more than one minute without the fast idle engaged. It will accumulate excess oil and fuel. I am pretty sure the Prevost manual said the same thing.

The instructions for my Dodge dually says never slow idle the diesel engine for more than a few minutes, because it will run too cool and will build up carbon deposits on the valves and cylinder walls.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!