Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Idle?

dreamchasers Guest

Default Fast Idle?

I am trying to determine how to enable the fast idle mode on my, new to me, Prevost Country Coach. On my American Eagle, I would depress the cruise control 'resume' button and the Cummins idle would increase to around 1000 RPM. I used the feature to let the engine warm up while doing my final walk around before departure. On my maiden voyage of bringing the Prevost coach to Texas, I could not figure out how to enable the fast idle feature on the Allison -Detroit combination. I read through the provided Country Coach instruction manual, but to no avail.

I know this is a very simple question and I promise to make my questions more difficult in the future. HA!

By the way, I read the article on 'suspension system repairs' by Jon. What a great job! I think I will follow his advice of component replacement to solve the 'leans'.

Hector
    1995, Prevost 45 XL, Country Coach

Hector,

To enable the fast idle you need to be in neutral and the parking brake needs to be on. If that does not do it something is open in the circuit.

If you are going to follow the article on the suspension repairs use your coach for a while and see how things work. Just before Branson for the first time since I owned my coach (3 years) it decided to lean. It was a single incident because it hasn't leaned since. I'm still going to go through it this winter just because everything else under it is new except the valves.

The hardest part of solving a coach problem is not knowing the history. If you have the maintenance records you have a starting point. Without the records you need to create a starting point, so that is why I suggest getting to know the coach before you dive right in. You may fix something that ain't broke.

Hector,

My previous Marathon and current Country Coach has a button on the console next to your left arm marked "idle". Not sure about your vinatage, but others may jump in here.

dalej Guest

Mine is left of the steer console by my left knee. Fast Idle is the far left of the four buttons, two stage jake is next

My '93 Country Coach had the idle button on the left side near the jake brake and cruise control buttons. As I remember it was about third button down on the left hand row of buttons, and would be labled something like Idle.

You do have to be in neutral for sure, and probably the parking brake on as Jon mentioned.

Ray

mine is on the left side dash....it has a 'bunny rabbit" on the toggle switch
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Jim_Scoggins Guest

parking brake on
    tranny in neutral
    cruise control on/set

parking brake on
    tranny in neutral
    cruise control on/set
    It's interesting that a couple of you have mentioned using the cruise control. I had spoken last month with Nick Hessler and he mentioned that procedure, but it was to check the cruise control. I didn't get the impression that it was there in lieu of a fast idle button?

Ray

As Jon said, there should be a idlle relay for fast idle. It should be turned on and off by a switch on your dash. My switch has a rabbit icon.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    parking brake on
    tranny in neutral
    cruise control on/set
    Heck guys--bad scoop on my part--the cruise control thing was the way it was done on my last two coaches--one a Detroit and one a Cummins.

What was I thinking? Or not.

Current Coach has a switch jobby as others have inferred.

My coach is still not here with me. Still down at Parliament for the re-do--hope to go get it this month.

Homeless in Virginia.