Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locked in the coach!

ajhaig Guest

Default Locked in the coach!

Here we go again...

We are locked in the coach! The only way to get out is to reach out the window and unlatch the door from the outside. The inside handle isn't working.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

How do I get the "button" things off the panel that covers the lock area?

Many thanks.

AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajhaig; 10-21-2007 at 07:10 PM.

The button things are caps. Put a screw driver or a fingernail under them and they should pop off.

ajhaig Guest

Hey Jon,

Any idea why the inside door handle won't work? Do you think there is anything I can do if I take the panel off?

Thanks.

AJ

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

AJ

The linkage is either broke or one end of it has fallen off, maybe a broken end clip.

Those buttons snap off and then Phillips head screws are exposed.

First the inside handle has a small clip on the stem that you can snap off with a small standard screwdriver or even a pocket knife will push it off.

No different than removing a auto door panel.

Believe it or not that inside twist for the dead bolt is 125 bucks. We needed one ordered it and sent it back. I called Elgin thinking the price was an error and they offered to reduce the price to 75. It was sent back.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-21-2007 at 08:01 PM.

wrongagain Guest

Until we hear from AJ again, let me ask a question about the door air lock. Is there a way to release it from outside the coach.
    thanks

dalej Guest

On ours if you turn off the batteries in the back (main disconnect) it disables the air lock.

When we are inside the bus to sleep, we use the manual lock, just in case a burglar knows about shutting down the batteries.
    Last edited by dalej; 10-21-2007 at 08:24 PM.

wrongagain Guest

I guess what I am asking is,...
    Assume I am in the coach, with the air lock engaged, my wife is outside and wants to get back in, but, during her absence I dropped dead.
    does she call someone with a large truck to tear the door off to get me out of the coach, before my dogs eat me, or is there a way to release the lock from outside the coach.

wrongagain Guest

I guess I have my answer before I got out the second question.
    thanks I will try it to see.

Petervs Guest

The same problem Andrew has has happened to us, only the outside handle would not work either. In our Marathon you need a phillips screwdriver and an allen wrench to get access to the lock mechanism. All of those were in my toolbox in one of the lower bays.

We drove 400 miles home locked inside. All the comforts of course, but it was a little weird.

Upon arriving home, some judicious jiggling of the handles popped the lock open.

The mechanism had broken inside, and a local locksmith replaced it for a very small fee. I now carry the needed tools inside the coach, just for that eventuality.

PS:This happened on about our third or fourth outing after purchasing the bus, so I wrote this story up in a humorous way and submitted it to the Marathon Club for their newsletter/magazine. They had asked for people to write in. But it was rejected, because it was not in keeping with the proper "Marathon Style" where everything always works perfectly and there is never ever a glitch of any sort.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dale, how did you find that out?