Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me again on aux air PLEASE

bill&jody Guest

dan-
    maybe a good puff of ciggy smoke into the compartment would show you where the air is moving. see? smoking CAN be helpful.

no, i don't smoke cigs. :-) don't recommend 'em either.

cheers
    wmm

Roger, Same here and I disconnected the line and plugged it with a small machine screw. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Roger, We just tracked down an air leak in one of the trucks yesterday to the passenger seat, not the first time a seat valve failed.
    Kevin

Default Aux Air Leak

Ya know, it is probably the most convenient place an air leak could be, but I have been all over this bus and all up and underneath, replaced regulators, bags, Sprayed soap mixture on all the fittings I could find -- and failed to start with probably the easiest place in the world to check. I guess that is why I am no rocket scientist. I don,t even use the seat bolster so I will be doing like you Jon - Screw it.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Roger, how did you finally find it then in the seat? Was there a quiet moment and you heard it or did you think of looking there?

Jim,

I can tell you how easy it is to miss this leak, and how I stumbled on it.

First, when the aux compressor runs frequently, it is easy to justify turning it off when the bus is in the barn. The system pressure goes to zero and you will never hear a leak. I took on the project of making my system leak free and did exactly what Roger did.

So I started leaving the compressor on when the bus was in the garage so if we wanted to use the bed lift or I wanted to raise or lower the bus I had pressure. The compressor did not run much, but it did run. Then my CB quit working and it is located right next to the seat and the air switches. It turned out the CB problem was a fuse in the rear, but while I was working around the CB I heard the air leak. It was blind luck finding the leak.

I still have leaks somewhere, but it takes more than a week for the system to go down to zero so I'm done worrying about it for now.

Default Finding Air Leak

Jim: To answer your question - How did I find the leak? Absolute silence, tryed to eliminate all noises. Doors closed, home alone, no heat pumps, no blowers running, and a huge funnel stuck up to my ear acting like a reverse megaphone This is after I had completely covered the potential leaks on the exterior, (small air bags, fittings at dump valves both sides, water inlet, steering bay etc). Opened the entry door played with air lock then the floor slide, then the seat leak was loud enough for me to pick it up thru the funnel.

Just like Jon said in his post - while the bus is parked I cut the off the compressor so when cleaning or fiddling around the seat there would be no audible leak. So silence and aired up and listening like a good dog.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Talking

Now Roger, you might just have hit on something. You know how there are Blood Hounds for tracking people and Fox hounds for tracking Fox and Drug dogs for tracking drugs, Weeelll.
    Someone should go and train a dog for AIR LEAKS Wa da ya think
    I guess you could try an Airedale

win42 Guest

Wal how I found my air leaks in my bus. There was a fresh kilt skunk on the road. I was able to squeeze the contents of his spray mechanism into a plastic container and later transfer them into the intake on my auxilery air compressor on the bus. In no time I found the pesky leak in the air cylinder connection on the bed lift. No more air leak, but the wife is not too impressed.

Default Sniff em out

Harry - Which bus was the smell trail on?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost