Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aux brakes??

I never used aux braking until we started towing the H2. The chicken in me says that if some jerk pulls in front of me and then hits the brakes, if I have the aux braking installed at least the lawyer suing me will not be able to prove I was negligent.

Default Toad Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    I notice that many people now are using an auxiliary brake system on their toads. Is there any state statute that actually requires this? I am on my 10th coach since the late 80's and have towed 25-30,000 miles per year since then. I have yet to have had an experience where I thought that having an auxiliary brake on my 3800 lb. jeep would help stop my 52,000 lb Prevost. My experieence has been that unless I look at the back up camera I do not even know that it is back there. Am I missing something?
    Car Guy, I hope you are not missing your 3800lb Jeep! Using your logic we wouldn't buy life insurance because we have never died or replace worn brakes on our bus because they have never failed. I don't mean to be harsh but there is conclusive proof that your bus will indeed stop in a shorter distance with brakes on your Jeep. Imagine if it only stopped 50' less when your had to make an emergency stop on a congested freeway. That could mean the difference between life and death for anyone stopped in front of you. The other thing you may be missing is the safety factor included in most of these system's breakaway switch. Your toad could be a 2 ton missile if it became dislodged from your coach.

I believe you have the freedom to do whatever you want that might endanger your life but you do not have that same right when it comes to me and my family. I don't mean to lecture you Car Guy but I do think if you do a little more investigation you will find that installing a braking system with a breakaway switch will give you some peace-of-mind, avoid potential legal problems and protect other motorists in the event of an accident.

Darl

This link on the Roadmaster Tow Bar site includes a summary of various state laws regarding aux brake systems.

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/laws.php

As you'll see many states require aux brake systems, depending upon the vehicle weight. I have just a little Honda Civic behind me, but as Jon mentioned, if something happens, I'm not going to be sued because I didn't have one, as required by my state.

Ray

1carguy Guest

Default auxilary brake system

OK - I still think the marketers of these devices are doing a great job confusing people with the requirements for towed trailers as opposed to towed vehicles. I know that based on my experience with RV's since the late 80's aux. brake systems are definitely not used by the majority of motorhome people towing cars. I suppose once I spend the dollars necessary for a system and go through the trouble of installing it I will become a big proponent of the systems also due to this investment. I can see that it could help minimize liability.

Anyhow, I trade cars often and do not want to make expensive personalizations to a tow car and I am not at all excited about someone tapping into my air system. There is more than enough leaks in a prevost air system without adding another joint.

I guess with the above in mind is there a brake system that I should look at?

I guess with the above in mind is there a brake system that I should look at?
    For similar reasons, I got a Even Brake system from Roadmaster. There's no permanent connection into the towed vehicle's braking system. It just sits on the front floor, and get's clamped in place.

I will admit, it's a bit of a pain, but I am more concerned with legality, rather than how much it affects braking. It does come with a brake-away system, which will stop the towed car in the event of a hitch failure.

The one thing is that it expect to tap into your brake lights to verify that it's applying brakes when it thinks it is. I would imagine that would be easily setup in a non-invasive way.

Certainly not the best world, but if you don't want invasive solutions, this is darn easy.

Ray

Default Brakes and Breakaways

Guy, here is a link to JC Whitney which I found to be the least expensive for the "BrakeMaster", especially when you use their $75.00 coupons. I have this set-up on my Honda CR-V and plan to install it on my new Honda Accord. If you use more than 1 car you do not need to purchase the activation cylinder, just a 2nd vehicle kit for a little over $100.00 (Scroll down on JC Whitney page for info).

As for tapping into the air system, that is the easy part. There is a valve near the rear of the Prevost bus that accommodates a fitting for this system. Jon W. can give the exact valve location for the connection. Takes about 1/2 hour including running the line to the connection on the rear of the bus. The most time consuming task is hooking up the "Brakeaway" system under the hood. If you want this feature for a 2nd car you will need to purchase a 2nd setup but not the cylinder. Roadmaster factory in Portland, OR ,gives 2 hours labor for installation of the complete system.

Once this is installed you may add less than 2 minutes to the connection time of attaching your toad. Outside you simply use a quick-connect for the air line and snap on the emergency disconnect to the switch. Inside it is simple to slide the connection onto the brake pedal and insert the pin on the floor attachment. The air hose connector is another quick connect. Ready to go!

Many people have the brake system described by Ray and are very happy with them. SMI has a system many RVers love. I did a lot of research and asked owners of many of these devices and decided on the Roadmaster 'Brakemaster' because it suits my needs.

Good luck with whatever you decide CarGuy. You are sure at the right place to get lots of advice and opinions.

Darl

Darl,

No beef with your comments on toad brakes, but I have a question putting aside the various state laws.

Am I a risk to society if my bus and jeep are below GCWR, verified by weight tickets, and placarded from Prevost the manufacturer to assure adequate braking and vehicle safety accompanied by a properly rated towbar with rated safety cables in place?

Just curious..

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Darl,
    Am I a risk to society if my bus and jeep are below GCWR, verified by weight tickets, and placarded from Prevost the manufacturer to assure adequate braking and vehicle safety accompanied by a properly rated towbar with rated safety cables in place?

Just curious..
    Tom, Personally I think the chance is very small that you or any experienced Prevost driver is at 'considerable' risk by not having brakes for your toad. However, if you agree with the experts that state your stopping distance will be somewhat less with brakes then without them, you would have to agree that stopping even a few feet shorter might be the difference between having a terrible accident and just having wet pants. 25 tons at even 10 miles an hour can create havoc with a Civic sandwiched between Mr Prevost and Mr 18 wheeler. Even the most careful driver can be caught in this situation. Personally I have never had a highway accident or a moving violation in the last 69 years. Call me over-cautious but I have toad brakes with a breakaway device. I think the other issue is the breakaway problem. It can and does happen but is not very likely given the hookup you described. As far as you, CarGuy, or anyone else being a risk to society, I suppose there is a modicum of risk but most of it could be to your pocketbook if there is an accident. I have $500,000 liability plus a million dollar umbrella for 2 reasons; my 20 year-old college student son with a Subaru WRX and me with a Prevost. In case of an accident in either, right or wrong, I will likely get sued. By being in compliance with the law I MAY have a chance. I don't want to literally 'drive' this issue into the ground or seem like some kind of do-gooder'. This is just my opinion. My wife and I will go anywhere with a POG caravan, braked up or not! Hope to see ya'awl in Pahrump.

Darl,

Understood! We hope to venture west this year to make Pahrump as long as you left coast guys can keep this wacko under control.

IMG_1120_1.JPG

Cheers....