Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aux brakes??

Default Aux brakes??

We tow a Jeep Liberty and have used a Brake Buddy for the past 5 years. It kind of does the job, but really only activates when the stop is fairly hard. And, because the effort is placed upon a "dead" brake pedal in the Jeep, I'm not sure how effective it really is.

It's also kind of a pain to set it up for towing and then ya gotta lug it around when not in use.

So, my question is, are there any comments or suggestions with regard to the use, and choice of, an aux braking system for the towed vehicle?

Seems like the bus really doesn't care whether the Jeep is there or not. But I want to do the right thing regarding safety and compliance with the law.

What's everybody like???

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think the hot set-up all the big boys are using is made by M&G.

It is a air slave cylinder that goes in between the master cylinder and the power assist it currently attaches to, on the toad. You tap into the a bus brake line and run it back to the hitch, put a coupler there then continue it to the master cylinder on the toad. You will then simply have one additional line to unhook at the tow bar.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-16-2007 at 07:44 PM.

I agree with Joe that the M&G is probably the better choice on the market, but since I want flexibility I use brakemaster.

All each vehicle needs is the mounting plate on the floor, and an air line run to a spot near the mount. I then just switch the brake master which is an air cylinder that attaches to the floor mount and the pedal.

I have no clue as to the effectiveness of any of the systems, but the M&G as I understand it is adjustable and the brakemaster is not, only applying braking force to a dead pedal proportional to the brake force I use in the coach.

I have been using M&G system with good results on my Tahoe. I also added their break-away kit. It amounts to a small tank mounted on my firewall. with a electric breakaway switch tethered to the coach. When the switch is pulled out it activates a solenoid valve sending the air in the small tank to the M&G brake cylinder and locks up the brakes on the tow vehicle bringing it to a safe stop. All of the items have been trouble free so far. Aprox. 5000 Mi. of use. One small tether cord and one 1/4" air line to couple to the coach and your on your way. See M&G internet site.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

VegasDogMan Guest

Been using the M&G unit for nearly 4 yrs on my 04 Ford Explorer. Car weighs 4600 Lbs and have never had difficulty. Easy to install - had to cut away part of battery case to move master cyl forward but that was about it. Coach already had air chuck for toad brake. Will buy another (M&G has trade in plan) if I change cars this year.

Thanks for all the replies. I friend of mine that we have travelled with had the M&G system installed last year and is one of the systems at the top of my list.

Watching him hook up with just the connection of an air line, while I spent 5 minutes installing and setting up my Brake Buddy, is what inspired me to consider another option.

Guess I have some shopping to do.....

Hey Paul, take Lew shopping with you. He needs to get out more!!

Any concerns cutting into the air lines for the brake? I had considered the M&G system for my previous coach, but since I just wanted to get up and running quickly I got an Even Brake (like Brake Buddy) portable system.

After locking up the tires on my Civic once (incorrect procedue when initializing the Even Brake system), I soon realized that the bus doesn't even know the Civic is back there. Now I just keep the brake system there for legalities.

With this new coach and possibly towing a heavier car, I'm considering the M&G system. I'm just a little unsure of letting someone cut into the airbrake lines.

Ray

To get air to a tow car there is no cutting of air lines. To add an air fitting at the rear of my bus I merely removed a plug from an air distribution block that serves my tag axle brakes and added the fitting for the auxiliary brake system.

Lightbulb

Ray, don't forget to use DOT rated plumbing!!!!!