Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk horns...

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

I live next door to Fort Bragg. I guess my next stop will be military surplus. Maybe they some 50 cal guns laying around.

It is a shame that a ligitimate product falls into the hands of irresponsible and sicko people.

I lived on Long Island New York for several years. I had some Brazilians for neighbors. Came home from the city on evening and there was a mega watt sixteen year old birthday party going on. The walls of my house (no air conditioning) were actually vibrating. Called and spoke to neighbor. I got the you can't do anything until after 10:00 PM. Well that was not quite accurate. I had a 1974 H-D Superglide with a 2 into 1 banana exhaust. I placed it next to the fence and locked the throttle at 2,000 rpm. The next call came from the neighbor. He wanted me to turn off my noise. I told him come 10:00 PM I'd gladly return the H-D to the garage, otherwise if he wanted it quiet earlier then he had to off his noise.

Sometimes you just got to stand up and fight fire with fire.

Thanks for the website. Yes there are some disturbing letters on both the fan as well as the hate mail side of the horns. I'll just stick to the train whistle, after all steam has been gone from the rails since the late 1950's.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Imagine how bad you could scare someone who was going around down RR crossing gates

I don't know if you guys remember at POG3 in Kerrville, but someone there had a magnificent RR whistle on their coach. Ken Zittrer has a pretty good one, but compared to this other coach?!! Wow!

My Liberty has a RR whistle. It is air operated, and I have a Pull at the front dash. It is not overly loud and sounds like an old 1800's whistle.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Joe,

Anyone going around RxR gates that are down is beyond the point of being scared. We did a demonstration for Operation Lifesaver where the ACWR ran into an old Oldsmobile 88 at a staged crossing. The train consist was one locomotive (GP 38-2) a couple of unloaded cars and a caboose. The train was running about 10 miles per hour. The result was not very pretty. There is likely video of the demonstration somewhere out in cyber space.

Ray,

Did you get the name of the whistle manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Garner
    Ray,

Did you get the name of the whistle manufacturer?
    Sorry, I did not. But perhaps Ken Zittrer did?

dalej Guest

Default follow up...

I have both horns working now. When I got in the bus electric horn area, the wires were unhooked so just the air horns worked. I hooked the wires back up and then both air and electric horns worked at the same time when the horn button was pressed. So I hooked the electric horns to a spare switch on the driver console, (there are three). I removed the switch and made it a momentary switch by moving the spring wire inside the switch. It works great, now I have loud air horns and softer electric horns.

Dale,

I think horns are like Harleys, they are mean't to be loud. Loud horns save lives.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Will,

You can get a 50 cal without going to the military and you can teach your kids how to fend off the neighbors....

t1.jpg