Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

win42 Guest

Here I am on the eve of taking my behind the wheel driving test tomorrow at 3:00 PM in Yuba City, Ca and I opened this thread oh my god. I'm told to check both mirrors often when backing.

I passed my written ok and tomorrow I will be paralell parking my 40' Prevost between cones. If I pass I'll be back on here tomorrow night, if not you probably will not here from me for a while. For the tbc now you know why I still own a 40 footer, but not for long I hope. Say a little prayer for me please.

Good Luck Harry, I know you can handle it. Let me know how it turns out.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Pog17 I was going by what I read in changing gears posted by RF105.

I've had a CDL my whole life so never really looked into it myself when we got our bus.

Where did you find info contrary to changing gears? I looked at the Ill site and couldn't find any info?

Harry,

Good luck on the test. Let us know how it goes! I'm considering going for the Class-B (non-commercial) even though my 40ft doesn't require it. Who knows, someday I may need to drive someone elses 45ft bus in an emergency. I'd like to be licensed in that case.

I'd be interested in hearing the details of your test.

Ray

win42 Guest

Smile CA. Class B Non Commercial License

SHOOT UP A FLARE !!

The old geezer passed his one hour long behind the wheel test. They did not miss a thing.

Ray: You better get a class B book and read the part where all Vehicles over 26,000# and air brakes require a class B license. Our motorhomes allow a Class B non commercial. I took my test in my 40 footer. The inspector asked me why I did not have one sooner.

Nice going Harry. Would guess the worry was much worse than the test. Now you're over the hump it's Shirleys' turn, right?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That's great Harry must be a good feeling.
    Did you really think you were going to get through any experience with a bureaucrat with out at least one stab?

Ray: You better get a class B book and read the part where all Vehicles over 26,000# and air brakes require a class B license. Our motorhomes allow a Class B non commercial. I took my test in my 40 footer. The inspector asked me why I did not have one sooner
    Harry,

Glad to hear you passed. I don't believe what you're saying above is true. Motorhomes are explicitly granted on a class C license, up to 40 ft, even with air brakes. That's my understanding. I will try to find the reference.

Ray

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf is the document on the California DMV site regarding RV licensing. Page 2 specifically indicates a class C license may drive "any housecar" (which is a vehicle licensed as a motorhome) up to 40 ft in length.

Also from the above referenced document:
    You are not required to pass an air brake law test or to perform an
    air brake system check if your housecar is equipped with air brakes.
    You will be asked to perform a Vehicle Safety Check which the DMV
    examiner will help you.

Ray

Hey Harry,

What documents did you use in your study for the tests? You mentioned above a Class B manual, however I cannot find a Class B manual. There is a CDL manual, but that is specifically for commerical Class A or B.

That manual is referenced in the RV manual I cited earlier, so I've printed it, and am going through it. But, I just wanted to check if there is another manual I should be looking for?

Ray