Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have seen short horizontal poles with flags that attach to the rear of short skinny trlrs that can not be seen from the drivers seat and the flags will indicate where the thing is.

If need be I would not be embarrassed to use them.

You could rig up almost anything. Also if your forced to the shorter trlr experiment backing with the tag up to see if the bus will chase the small trlr. quicker in that mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    The test might not include having to pull a trlr. I would look into that first.
    I agree with Joe, forget the trailer. I live in Nevada where we have a 70' limit. I pull a Toad but did not take it to my test. The A or B license ALLOWS you to pull a trailer but you are NOT obligated to pull one or test with it. Many RVers do not pull trailers but their license would allow it if they chose to pull one in the future.

BTW, like Joe stated earlier, do a good walk around and explain to the examiner what you are doing. That was required in the Nevada test and tests I took several years ago in CA for a commercial license.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

Darl

I cannot speak about how other states view this, but in TN if the trailer and load exceeds 10,000 pounds you need a class A, no matter if it is being pulled by a pickup or a Freightliner.

rff105 Guest

Default Dmv

Well I stopped by the local DMV for some misinformation today. The fist two guys at the photo desk did not even know a non-commercial A and B license existed until I showed them the description in the drivers manual right on their desk. They then pointed me to the driver’s exam guys saying they know more about that kind of stuff.

The first driver exam guy also had never heard of a non-commercial either and pointed me to a fourth examiner. He asked why I would want a non-CDL anyway and I explained the motorhome thing and showed him the example right in the book. They did not know if there would be any written exam or what to study for the driver’s exam. They also did not know how the air brakes would be handled. The examiner explained to me that Pennsylvania is a “let live free state” and the police do not bother motorhomes. I explained that I under stood that but the insurance company or a lawyer might not see it that way. He proceeds to tell me that I should just get my CDL and be done with it. His way of telling me he knew nothing about non-CDL and was not going to find out.

I really would prefer not to get my CDL for all the reasons some have mentioned above. I guess my next step is to try to call Harrisburg to find someone who knows how to get a non-CDL class A.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ahhhhhhhhhhh those wonderful bureaucrats.

I laughed my way through most of your post 105. Sorry couldn't help it.

Good luck. When NY was waffling originally I checked with the DMV (no luck), the state police (no luck, even though they were starting to give tickets), and finally when I asked someone in Albany and he gave me an answer to indicate it was required (since rescinded, and now I think restored again) I asked him to send me a copy of the law or regulation and his response in writing.

Can anyone guess if I ever got it in writing?

rff105 Guest

Default Update

Well after not being discouraged by local DMV I went ahead and ordered my Class B Non-Commercial learners permit for $5.00. It came in the mail in mid-December with no additional information except for a letter describing how to schedule my test on-line through the DMV website. Prior to today studied the CDL book since I could not find any information on what would be covered in the non-commercial test. I scheduled my test for today jumped in the coach with all my paperwork and my class B buddy and it was off to the DVM to se what would happen.

I was the first test of the day. When we went outside the tester wanted to know why we did not park in the DMV lot. When he saw the bus he knew why we parked across the street. He made my buddy drive it around the block and into the parking area they use for the Class B CDL tests, I do not know why he would not let me drive it with the licensed co-pilot but I did not want to start the test by arguing.

The test consisted of: light test, parallel parking test in a space big enough to park a tractor trailer, and a road test. Road test: basic driving, signaling, traffic laws, we did a simulated pull off on to berm to check tires were he was looking for signaling, four-ways, and parking break. We went on to the highway for one exit where he asked me what the bridge height was for the bridge we just went under. I told him I was looking but did not see a sign and he told me that there was not one. We drove back to the DMV where he told me the only thing he had on me was not looking around enough when cornering. I did not want to argue with him but with those large mirrors properly adjusted I do not need to move my head noticeably to be checking the mirrors.

Anyway I passed the driving test, there is no written test. I asked him about the air break endorsement and he said you do not need one with the non-commercial license even if the vehicle is equipped with air breaks. When was registering for my permit their was also no place to list endorsements, so I guess I will have to take his word on that one. I received a paper license correction card and for $10.00 I can get a new license issued or just carry the paper card until mine expires.

All legal now and ready to head to FL next week with the family for some service at Camping World (aka Featherlite, I’ll let you know how that goes) and Disney with the kids.

Way to go in passing your test.

We went on to the highway for one exit where he asked me what the bridge height was for the bridge we just went under. I told him I was looking but did not see a sign and he told me that there was not one
    Now, that's a bit of a nasty trick, isn't it? I understand the need to watch for road height signs, but isn't it fairly safe that on major highways, we're not going to find much that we're concerned about?

Ray

rff105 Guest

I read in the book that they may ask you a bridge height or weight after you cross during the test so i was prepaired. But when he asked me i tought i missed someting. PA does not post bridge heights on bridges over about 14'6".

pognumber17 Guest

Default IL requirements

I'd be interested in the source of your IL info, Joe C. I believe the IL reference in the Changing Gears website is incorrect. In fact the IL DMV website he links to has almost verbatim the same language as OH rules cited by Orren Z.
    Thanks
    Mike Spitz