Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

I think a COMMERCIAL driver license, as opposed to a Non-commercial class B can be a double edged sword, and a lot of what happens depends on the cop.

Just from the posts here, it appears a cop may hold a CDL driver to a higher standard and that works against the driver. But, unless you are doing something really stupid, I get the sense the cop may see the CDL and believe your livelihood is at risk if he hangs a big offense on you, and he may let you slide.

Personally, if I was a cop and some guy in a Prevost was blowing by everybody (which I have seen a lot) and he did not show me a license that proved he had the driving skills necessary to drive a big bus, I would go out of my way to spank that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I would go out of my way to spank that guy.
    I am guessing that is FIGURATIVELY speaking Jon????

Gary S.

Let me think about that for a minute......

Yes.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

I've been through this in NC. I'm sure the law varies from state to state on the Class B license, however the CDL should be identical nationwide. Let's start with the CDL. You are not eligible for a CDL in North Carolina unless your are capable of carrying 16 or more seated passengers and or you will be towing a trailer with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 10,000 pounds. Towed wheels down vehicles don't figure into the equation. Next license down is the Classified B. For this license there is a 50 question touch screen test that you must answer 40 questions correctly. Then there is a road test. The touch screen test is all about tractor trailers, there is not one question about buses (Prevost or otherwise). I took the test without any preparation I hit the magic 40 correct mark. In fact I was 30 for 30 before checking the count. I guess knowing I was doing so well took off some of the pressure and focus because I only hit .500 on the last 20 questions! By the way, "overtracking" is the term used to define the rear wheel set on the trailer tracking inside the wheel tracks of the tractor. I missed that one. Of course the examiners wanted to know why I cared about anything other than the regular Class C license since my bus was an RV and therefore exempt from any requirement for a higher skills license. I did have fun with the examiner, yes a female, when it came to the road test which I took the day after the touch screen test. She had never been in a Prevost conversion and we joked about being able to take it to Myrtle Beach South Carolina if she wanted perform an in depth evaluation of my driving skills or lack thereof. I bet that last comment has opened the door to lots of replys coming my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Garner View Post
    She had never been in a Prevost conversion and we joked about being able to take it to Myrtle Beach South Carolina if she wanted perform an in depth evaluation of my driving skills or lack thereof. I bet that last comment has opened the door to lots of replys coming my way.

Especially if YOUR wife ever reads this posts....

Gary S.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Gary,

I told Carole how much fun I had taking the road test, including the possibility of going to Myrtle Beach. She thought it was great that I could have so much fun at our DMV office. Our experiences at that office usually do not have us leaving with a smile on our faces.

Smile Learning your A,B,C,s

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I think a COMMERCIAL driver license, as opposed to a Non-commercial class B can be a double edged sword, and a lot of what happens depends on the cop.
    First I can't see any value in getting a commercial license but obtaining the appropriate operating license for your motor home is simply good sense. Imagine the field day a below average attorney could have if you were involved in a minor bodily injury traffic accident and you were not properly licensed to drive your 24 ton Prevost. Better have a BIG umbrella policy! I am surprised that the insurance companies don't require the RV license. Secondly, I think the anticipated response from law enforcement is grossly overblown. I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation for almost 18 years and have never had a moving violation. Trust me, that doesn't mean I always drive in full compliance with the law! About 5 years of my 69 year life was spent as a class 'A' commercial truck driver. It seems to me that the treatment difference from a 'C' license to a RV or 'B' is going to be negligible unlike how one may be treated with a commercial or 'A' license.

In summary, if your state requires an RV license for the vehicle you operate I think you will avoid a lot of headaches by complying with the law. That doesn't mean being "over-licensed" but with the RV permit the secure feeling when you hear a siren or have a close call is worth the minor effort required to obtain the license. I also agree with Jon about gaining some knowledge while studying for the test. Furthermore I agree with Joe C. I am glad I no longer need a class 'A' for my job!

rff105 Guest

I think i am going to send in for my non-commercial class A permit because i would like to be able to tow a trailer. However my car trailer is 26' and we all know from reading the other trailer threads all about over length. My question is do i need to take the H3 for the driving test and i have a 10' trailer that would keep me under or at the 65' combined limit in PA. I did fine backing up the 28' with the 40' vogue but a 10' with the 45' H3 might be a challenge with the short wheel base. What do you think the test will include? and do you thing keeping the setup under 65' is probably a good idea? I should look into borrowing someones 25' plastic RV but will i need something with air brakes for the test?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The test might not include having to pull a trlr. I would look into that first.

If so I would try it with the longer trlr first cause it would be way easier to back up and they might not check length.

If all else fails do it as you suggest with the short trlr, with a little practice first.

rff105 Guest

i agree the 28' is 8'-6" wide and is EZ to back up with the long wheel base and the sides line up with the coach. The 10' is only 7'-6" wide and wold be lost back there, by the time you see it turning it would be to late.