Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

I have considered getting a class B, and will probably do so with my 40 ft coach. That's one reason I didn't opt for a 45 ft coach, in that I couldn't legal drive now, and wouldn't have an easy way of getting a 45 coach legally out to a testing center.

I've got the materials from Ken Z, who has successfully gotten a class B in CA.

Ray

Orren,
    Thanks for the info on Ohio driver license.

Jon,
    I looked into a CDL a couple of years ago and wise advised against it. First of all, Ohio law does not require it for RV use and secondly, if stopped in a car for a violation it is viewed differently with a CDL than a regular license.

Until laws change I will stay with what I have or some one advises differently.

What do you mean about CDL being treated Different? First, unless you choose to go Commercial route the CDL for your coach will be a non-commercial. the closest analogy I can come up with is that is shows you can drive that class of vehicle, like having to have a motorcycle license.

Second, I know for a fact that your insurance is discounted if you have a Class B. That means it pays to make the effort.

I have had a Commercial CDL, Class A for years (and still have a current medical) and I have never been treated shabby because I had it.

Anybody else out there with a class B or a CDL that wishes they did not have it?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Some days, yes, I wish I had never had one

I have to agree with what Denny said.

I got out of a speeding ticket,(car) just last year, but the judge asked to see my drivers license, before he released me. He told me he was checking to be sure I DID NOT HAVE a CDL, or I would not have gotten out of the automobile speeding ticket?

TRUE STORY.

I don't know anymore about the different license's than that, but just let me say, I do think if you drive a big bus, you need to have the proper training, and correct license to go along with it.

Gary S

Orren Zook Guest

Jon,

As a CDL holder you already know that any violation points you might get outside your home state for say speeding, assured clear distance, etc are added to a CDL but are not added on the 'standard' license also CDL holders are are more accountable in other situations such as the BAC level for CDL holders is .04 instead of .08 here - I'm sure it is the same in other states. Also additional charges for the license itself and the physical exam add to the cost.

Here's a link to the Ohio BMV information:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_licen...squalification

"I have to agree with what Denny said.

I got out of a speeding ticket,(car) just last year, but the judge asked to see my drivers license, before he released me. He told me he was checking to be sure I DID NOT HAVE a CDL, or I would not have gotten out of the automobile speeding ticket?"

I have a Texas class B license that I had to get to drive my 12 yd. dump truck with farm tags. A year or so ago I got a speeding ticket in my daily driver and though no big deal I will do "deferred adjudication" and keep it off my driving record. When the judge saw my class b, she said "sorry, you are not eligible for DA." Deferred adjudication in Texas is a deal where you go to an 8 hour drivers education class and when all the paper work is done the citation goes away. I think you still pay the fine and pay for the drivers ed. class but it does not show on your driving record.
    So, yea I think that with a class B your not going to be cut much slack when it comes to things lights being out, making a daily walk around extra important. But, when the time comes that a class B is required for a 40' + coach, I've got it covered and don't have to worry about it.

Sounds like we have a bunch of scoflaws on this forum. I guess there is a benefit to driving no faster than 62.5 MPH.

I'm gonna have to be careful when I fire up the ole macerator to get the tailgater off my donkey.

I got stopped a few years ago for speeding and when the officer saw that I have a CDL he said "you did not have your seat belt fastened" I agreed and I only got a seat belt ticket and not a 65 in a 45.

I think this falls under "plausible deniability" in that if you don't have to have a CDL to drive your coach and you get stopped without it, you might get some slack. If you do have one, they expect you to know your stuff and thus you get nicked. Plus the points thing that someone mentioned earlier, so if I didn't already have a CDL, I wouldn't go get one just to prove I out studied the next goober in line.