Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

rff105 Guest

Default PA Class A/B non-commercial

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLic..._classes.shtml

I have been looking for any info I could find about big bus RVs and came across the above linked website. We have been driving 35’ and 40’ Vogues over 26,000 lbs since the 90s and have never had any problem with our class C licenses. We have always been asked by non coach owners “Do you need a CDL to drive that?” and the answer was always no, but I did not realize PA and some other states have non-commercial A & B licenses that are more or less specifically for RVs.

What are your PA A vs. B vs. C experiences? Other then the application I found online, what is involved in getting you’re A/B (written test, driving test, with your coach)? Has anyone ever received a ticket in PA for driving with a C license? What could happen out of PA with a C license (state with no requirement, state with similar requirements)?

Any insight will be helpful. I have a feeling our new H3 may draw more attention than our Vogues.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Hello and Good morning 105 interesting post.

I have just learned 3 new things. My home state of Ill has a non-commercial A B and C also that it IS a requirement for our bus/toad. Looks like a new web site to browse too.

I have a commercial license and would urge all who need any updated type of lisence to pursue it with-out fear. The most important thing when going is to make sure you have corresponding documents for both vehicles and both vehicles have ALL lights horn and reflectors, good brakes and tires. Often you may encounter a schtickler bureaucrat that will stop you from a behind the wheel test for these things. Also ALWAYS do a 360 degree walk around, or, pre-trip inspection before getting in the pilots seat, another bit they sometimes get on.

Go down and pick up a booklet beforehand and do a little study and it will be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-13-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Welcome aboard rff105. Your Changing Gears link pretty much says it all, it's a good resource for all of us, thanks for posting it. It has been our experience that State Police accept the licensing requirements of the state in which your license originates. That being said a lot can be learned by obtaining a Class A license. The testing requirements are nearly identical in every state and are not very difficult if you can find the time.

Incidentally, you can easily add a signature to your posts by clicking on "quick links-edit signature". This will help us get to know you and help answer questions about your new coach.

I hope the real driver among us agrees, but it is my opinion that even if it is not a requirement in your state to possess a CDL, that you make the effort and get one.

First, it will help any driver to develop a better understanding of our air brake systems. Second, it will likely have a favorable impact on your insurance rates if you use a company like Interstate. Finally, by taking the written and driving tests you are proving to yourself and the world that you take the responsibility of driving one of these coaches seriously.

We all have seen some folks that clearly should not even be driving a Class C and we need to set an example.

Default pa requires 26000 # plus motorcoaches to have class b license

hi...shookie here outside scranton pennsylvania...i stopped to see pendot today...it requires all drivers of non commercial motorcoaches to have a class b license...first, go to pendot webside and download form to apply for a permit...this costs 5 dollars....then, study the air brake portion of the cdl material for the written test for the class b status...then take your 26000 plus pound missel and show the authorities you can properly navigate it....this test must be by appointment only and you must have a licensed class b driver or higher on board for the drivers test....remember, you only have a permit at this time...if all goes well, congrats, you can drive you coach...if not, simply continue to drive it without the b rating....i believe this is one of those things that is overlooked by the authorities...maybe, maybe not....well....cheers, shookie

I think we are in a time similar to when the CDL first became law. I think that was around 1991 or 1992. Some states, (and NY in particular because I lived there and knew about it) started enforcing the CDL requirements for motorhomes. At the time they would do a traffic stop and if the driver did not have the CDL the coach was effectively parked until a licensed driver was available to move it.

There was a huge outcry and eventually it was clarified that RVs did not require a CDL in NY.

Now, however the states are apparently recognizing the need for a driver license applicable to the big RVs and more states have specific laws relating to them. Your home state that issued your driver license is the state whose laws you must follow regardless of where your rig is licensed or where you live. If you require a CDL or non CDL equivalent and you do not have one when stopped, it is possible you will have your rig towed to a place for storage until you can get a licensed driver to move it for you.

Let me ask a clarifying question.

In CA, you only need a class B license IF the motorhome is longer than 40 ft. 40 ft motorhomes (even over 26,000 lbs) are specifically ok to drive with a class C license.

Given that, my question is: It is legal for me (a class C driver) to drive a 40 ft motorhome with CA tags through PA? I assume yes, based upon what I've read, but want to make sure.

Ray

Orren Zook Guest

Default Ohio Revised Code

4506.03 Commercial driver's license or temporary instruction permit requirements.
    (A) Except as provided in divisions (B) and (C) of this section, the following shall apply:

(1) No person shall drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway in this state unless the person holds, and has in the person’s possession, a valid commercial driver’s license with proper endorsements for the motor vehicle being driven, issued by the registrar of motor vehicles, a valid examiner’s commercial driving permit issued under section 4506.13 of the Revised Code, a valid restricted commercial driver’s license and waiver for farm-related service industries issued under section 4506.24 of the Revised Code, or a valid commercial driver’s license temporary instruction permit issued by the registrar and is accompanied by an authorized state driver’s license examiner or tester or a person who has been issued and has in the person’s immediate possession a current, valid commercial driver’s license with proper endorsements for the motor vehicle being driven.

(2) No person shall be issued a commercial driver’s license until the person surrenders to the registrar of motor vehicles all valid licenses issued to the person by another jurisdiction recognized by this state. The registrar shall report the surrender of a license to the issuing authority, together with information that a license is now issued in this state. The registrar shall destroy any such license that is not returned to the issuing authority.

(3) No person who has been a resident of this state for thirty days or longer shall drive a commercial motor vehicle under the authority of a commercial driver’s license issued by another jurisdiction.

(B) Nothing in division (A) of this section applies to any qualified person when engaged in the operation of any of the following:

(1) A farm truck;

(2) Fire equipment for a fire department, volunteer or nonvolunteer fire company, fire district, or joint fire district;

(3) A public safety vehicle used to provide transportation or emergency medical service for ill or injured persons;

(4) A recreational vehicle;

this continues on with more exemptions listed in the code, I won't bore you with the rest - but RVs are currently exempt from this requirement in Ohio. I would think that the RV industry and the AARP lobby would raise such a stink that polititians seeking reelection would think twice before enacting more stringent laws..... anyway Denny, Jim C, jonnie and I can enjoy a free ride for the time being!

Most state laws are reciprocal, meaning if your home state does not require it, the state you travel in will not require it. However, a few years ago there were virtually no requirements for a non commercial Class B, and now they seem to be required in quite a few states.

I think as long as you are legal to drive in your home state you are OK, but why not get one in your vehicle before they are required? That way you can actually bring the bus you own to the test, without a licensed driver along side of you. Our buses will get you a Class B commercial license with an air brake endorsement because they are in excess of 26,000 lbs and they have air brakes. It is the one time when there is no restrictions on driving your own bus for a driver's test. If you wait until it becomes law, then to drive it on a permit, and to take a driving test you must have a driver licensed for the class vehicle.

Lightbulb

Ray, to go a little further. An Individual obtains a license in a particular State. If you drive to another State, your license is honored buy that State.
    Even if you wanted to be licensed in more than one State at the same time you are not permitted to do so.
    If you do not like the laws in the State where you live, find the residency requirements for the State that has it's laws formulated to your liking and establish residency in that State. You may not have to move.
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 10-18-2007 at 08:03 PM.